Respected Contributor

Re: KITCHENAID JUST LAUNCHED ITS NEWEST APPLIANCE

I have a Tiger rice cooker.  It cost about $125 and that was over 10 years ago.  I go thru spurts.  Sometimes I find myself using it a lot and then have a break from it.  Right now I've been using it a lot.  Found an orange chicken recipe that my family loved so I'm making it again this week.

Respected Contributor

I have a Zojirushi cooker also.  They are very well made and last forever.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Zojirushi that cost a little less, but it is a smaller size.  Wouldn't be without it.  Has a cycle for brown rice which I rely on.

Must say I would never pay for one with a water container.  Takes up a lot of space and has no real function.  

Valued Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles  I'm wondering if it's Goldplated...😆

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  My mother is a rice lover.  So much so, I swear she must have been Asian in a past life.

She owns a rice cooker but rarely uses it.  Not sure if she still has it.  She perfers to use a wok to cook rice which she purchased on her many trips to China & Japan. 

Her rice takes just like it came directly from an Asian restaurant and/or Chinese take out.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I love Rice but only make it occasionally, since DH is (literally) a Meat & Potatoes man.

When I cook it, I use the trick that Jamie Oliver taught: 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water - Bring to a boil, then cover and let it simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.

Comes out perfect every time!

So saying that, to say: I have no need for a rice cooker, and especially a $300 one. Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac  interesting technique.. rice is not my strong suit in cooking, but eating it is, there's nothing better than rice that tastes  authentic ☺️

Valued Contributor

I guess I am in the minority here - I boil water in microwave and add my minute rice let sit until most water is evaporated, and it's done.

Honored Contributor

@MalibuFox  My mother has always purchased rice from an Asian grocery store or Chinatown when living in the northeast.

Now that she has moved back down south, she complains that it's hard to find "real" rice. Smiley LOL

My father & siblings are meat & potatos eaters.  Only one of my grands is a "rice" eater like his "Great-Ma."

Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

I guess I am in the minority here - I boil water in microwave and add my minute rice let sit until most water is evaporated, and it's done.

@debfau  So am I.

I do the same.  And if I am really lazy, I order a pint of rice from a Chinese take-out.  A pint last me 2 days. Smiley Tongue