Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Sooner

Are there other pieces that you have to buy to fully use the IP?

not really,   I got a SS basket to put eggs in, for hard boiling but not neccesary

Honored Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@mare54 wrote:

Who has one and do you like it? Do you use it a lot? Fav recipes? Thanks.  Thinking of getting one.

I'm also curious about the IP, I'm a big fan of the pressure cooker and use mine every week.  Does anyone know the difference, if there is one, between the IP & a PC? Thanks!

the IP is a pressure cooker,  best just to do a search on the details on it,  the one thing I liked about it was the stainless steel pot  

I looked around at others and most available in stores at the time (almost 2 years ago) were non stick.  I figured eventually that would ****** out and then you are stuck.    

the IP is just great,  easy to use 

I like to make chicken soup with a rotiserrie chicken leftovers, and its ready within an hour

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal I cooked a pot roast last week, and it came out really yummy! It depends how big your roast is, but it'll cook much, much faster than if you did it in the oven. Definitely follow a recipe so that you know how long to cook it. I like the website (and book) Hip Pressure Cooking dot com. Pressure Cooking Today is also good, and Meredith, the Blue Jean Chef, has a couple good cookbooks, too.

I also like making a pork pot roast in the IP. We'll have it for dinner as it is with gravy made from the juices, then I shred the rest and make pork tacos or enchiladas or make Chinese bao (you can buy the buns frozen now). 

I hope you like it! Amazon always has the IP as a Black Friday deal, which is coming up, if you can wait. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Instant Pot

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

Something I'll probably get in the future since I'm the pressure cooker Queen. LOL

Ordered 2 TSV here already, so, can't buy it this week for sure. LOL

@SharkE

I know what is holding you back on the IP.  They don't come in red do they?

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

LOL

Valued Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I just pulled this post up to see what others thought about the Instant Pot.

Are there extras that you have to buy to fully use it??  Thanks.

@Bridgegal: I have had my instant pot for approx. 3 years and have had very good luck with it.  I bought the 6qt. 7 in 1  on amazon, also bought a lid for slow cooking/sauteing and 2 extra silicone seals.  It comes with a flat rack with handles for the bottom and two rice scoops.  I think any 9 inch lid would work for slow cooking/sauteing, or any universal lid or you could even just use foil.

I love my IP and use it quite often for lots of things. 

I recently made a cheesecake in it using the slow cook mode (put 1 inch of water in the pot, placed the bottom rack in with handles folded down, used a foil sling under my 8 inch spring form pan that had foil wrapped around the bottom so water wouldn't get into the cheesecake. lowered it down to sit on rack, covered pot with 3 paper towels, then the plain lid (not the pressure lid)...turned it on slow cook for 2 hours, turned off, let it sit in pot another hour, lifted out, let it cool off for another hour on countertop, refrigerated for several more hours, removed springform pan and cut cake and ate it...YUM!).  Took some time, but turned out delicious, moist and no cracks!  

I also make yogurt frequently and that also turns out great. 

The stainless pot washes beautifully.  If something does stick a little bit, I just use barkeepers friend and it comes right out. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the silicone seal retains odors.  After I cook with it, I take out the ring, wash it in soapy water, rinse, dry and let it hang on my cupboard door handle overnight, then reinsert it in the lid before cooking again...  does help eliminate some of the odor of onions, garlic, etc. 

I've only changed the seal once since I've had it, as it was becoming a little loose in the lid and I was afraid it wouldn't pressurize properly, so I changed it out. 

Otherwise I've been quite happy with my purchase...

Regular Contributor

I have one and, honestly, I could have passed.  I'm sure someday I will use it, but my son has hated every meal I've made in it, so it's semi-retired until he leaves the house.  It is great for doing hard boiled eggs and mashed potatoes.  I'm also thinking about doing polenta in it.  But otherwise, it just sits there taking up space.

Regular Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@pinkmochi

Thanks!!!!  Here is a question for you.  You mentioned cooking a pot roast in an hour.  I assume it is tender and flavorful in that time.   I'm tired of tough , chewy pot roasts.   This thing is sounding better and better if your answer is YES!   

It does amazing things with chuck roast.  I too am tired of tough, chewy braised meat.  I have a goulash slow cooker recipe that my kids love and I was really tired of it.  I did it in the IP and the meat was amazing.  But still my son didn't like it because the sauce was a little waterier than in the slow cooker.

Honored Contributor

@dal23 wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@pinkmochi

Thanks!!!!  Here is a question for you.  You mentioned cooking a pot roast in an hour.  I assume it is tender and flavorful in that time.   I'm tired of tough , chewy pot roasts.   This thing is sounding better and better if your answer is YES!   

It does amazing things with chuck roast.  I too am tired of tough, chewy braised meat.  I have a goulash slow cooker recipe that my kids love and I was really tired of it.  I did it in the IP and the meat was amazing.  But still my son didn't like it because the sauce was a little waterier than in the slow cooker.

Pour it out of the IP and put it in a casserole pan and heat up the oven.  Take it out when he comes in and he'll love it. . . Woman Wink

My aunt baked a sweet potato pie and my uncle HATED it!  Said it was the worst thing she ever made.  She put it in the fridge for a couple of days, announced she'd made pumpkin pie and served it.  He raved about it being THE best pumpkin pie he ever had.  Yes, of course she told him and gloated about the rest of her life.  He just loved her to pieces!  But boy did she get him!

Valued Contributor

The silicone seal on any pressure cooker can retain smells. Many of us minimize the problem by using one seal for savory dishes and another for more delicate foods such as cheesecakes.

The Instant Pot is the top electric pressure cooker in sales, by far. That ought to tell you something about the quality.