Valued Contributor

@mtc I love kitchen gadgets. Not ready to get rid of any of them yet. Can't wait to get the IP. We're Prime members too so shipping should be a breeze. 

Respected Contributor

I just pulled this post up to see what others thought about the Instant Pot.

Are there extras that you have to buy to fully use it??  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"weed?"  Smiley Surprised

LOL, thanks @Mz iMac, I needed that! Woman LOL Heart

Valued Contributor

@mare54 wrote:

Who has one and do you like it? Do you use it a lot? Fav recipes? Thanks.  Thinking of getting one.

I'm also curious about the IP, I'm a big fan of the pressure cooker and use mine every week.  Does anyone know the difference, if there is one, between the IP & a PC? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a Cook's Essentials pressure cooker and can't quite figure out how or why an Instant Pot would be better.  I must say my turquoise pot is a lot prettier.  I use mine at least once a week, and eat delicious leftovers between using the PC.  I've been using PCs over 50 years and have never has a bit of trouble with one. 

There are thousands of recipes online, most better than what you get in a costly cookbook.  I'm making a frittata in mine this evening. 

I believe @jackthebear is saying they have sales at Amazon. com. 

I am a long time pressure cooker user and have had CE pots and ******or and Cuisinart electric cookers.  I can say this Insta Pot is a huge upgrade.  The lid seals easily, you don't have to fool with it to get it to seal, it sears better, heats and seals faster and easier and better.  It comes right up to pressure, the pressure releases great and overall, it is a HUGE step up from ANY of the others I've used.

For stove top?  Fissler!  Best brand going!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner

Are there other pieces that you have to buy to fully use the IP?

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have a Cook's Essentials pressure cooker and can't quite figure out how or why an Instant Pot would be better.  I must say my turquoise pot is a lot prettier.  I use mine at least once a week, and eat delicious leftovers between using the PC.  I've been using PCs over 50 years and have never has a bit of trouble with one. 

There are thousands of recipes online, most better than what you get in a costly cookbook.  I'm making a frittata in mine this evening. 

I believe @jackthebear is saying they have sales at Amazon. com. 

I am a long time pressure cooker user and have had CE pots and ******or and Cuisinart electric cookers.  I can say this Insta Pot is a huge upgrade.  The lid seals easily, you don't have to fool with it to get it to seal, it sears better, heats and seals faster and easier and better.  It comes right up to pressure, the pressure releases great and overall, it is a HUGE step up from ANY of the others I've used.

For stove top?  Fissler!  Best brand going!

Thanks for your input on this @Sooner, very informative. I feel rather stupid now, lol, I didn't realize the IP was in fact a pressure cooker!  I love my PC but sometimes have to fight with the seal etc.  I will definitely check out the Amazon reviews etc, thanks again. Heart 

Trusted Contributor

@Bridgegal I know that you didn't direct your question to me, but I've been using my IP for a couple years. I use a steamer basket regularly, which doesn't come with the pot. You can purchase a clear glass lid so that you can use it as a slow cooker, but I don't know why I would want to do that when I can have a pot roast in a hour. Woman Very Happy

I'll never make potato salad without my IP again! Soups are so flavorful and fast in it! I make a quick, yummy soup in the fall with browned, sliced kielbasa, onions, carrots, potatoes, kale and chicken broth. Add herbs, salt & pepper and cook on high for 6 minutes. I think carrots come out sweeter in the pressure cooker than when I make this soup on the stove. 

Have fun with it!

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Sooner

Are there other pieces that you have to buy to fully use the IP?

Not really.  A steamer basket is useful but not necessary.  You may alreadly own one that will fit in the stainless pot.  

Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi

Thanks!!!!  Here is a question for you.  You mentioned cooking a pot roast in an hour.  I assume it is tender and flavorful in that time.   I'm tired of tough , chewy pot roasts.   This thing is sounding better and better if your answer is YES!