Trusted Contributor
On 11/2/2014 chickenbutt said:

What is the advantage of this sort of thing? Is it just like having an extra burner? Or is it that it can be used with some kinds of cookware that cannot work on a glass top stove?

I have an old electric stove (with the coils), so anything can be used on that, AFAIK. I find that four burners has always been enough for me, but maybe I'm in the minority.

But I just wonder what is the big advantage that makes this one burner worth so much. Or should I just shut up and Google it? Smiley Happy

The reason I bought the NuWave TS is to take it with me while traveling. I have a couple car trips planned for next year. I will bring the NuWave and a pot with me so in my hotel room I can make some oatmeal, heat up a can of soup, etc. Let's me eat healthier and cheaper. And I am sure will use this at home as well. I have a lot of Wolfgang Puck's stainless steel cookware and that will work on this so I don't need to purchase any additional cookware which is a plus.

Valued Contributor

What is the advantage of this sort of thing? Is it just like having an extra burner? Or is it that it can be used with some kinds of cookware that cannot work on a glass top stove?

I have an old electric stove (with the coils), so anything can be used on that, AFAIK. I find that four burners has always been enough for me, but maybe I'm in the minority.

But I just wonder what is the big advantage that makes this one burner worth so much. Or should I just shut up and Google it? Smiley Happy

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you why I prefer my Nuwave PIC to my old electric stove. For starters, I live in an apartment so the electric stove is a cheapie, I'm sure. The Nuwave I have (first generation) has 52 temperature settings from 100 degrees to 575 degrees. Temperature settings adjustable in 10 degree increments. The latest Nuwave, the PRO is adjustable in 5 degree increments - 104 settings between 100 and 575. Thus I get precise and consistent temperature control - much superior to my electric stove which has 10 settings and I know exactly what temperature I'm selecting. Since it's the pot rather than a burner that gets hot, clean up is very easy. I just wipe the Nuwave surface with a soapy cloth. No burned on food even if something has boiled over -- which really doesn't happen because of the great temperature control.

For some folks having an extra burner might be desirable but that isn't an issue for me. If entertaining, I can keep a pot of meatballs or cheese dip at just the proper temperature - no overheating or under heating. That isn't the case with my old electric. With that it's impossible to get THE temperature needed. The cheese either burns or solidifies because it's not hot enough. If I attend a potluck I can take my food and the Nuwave it its case. Sometimes one can use a burner at the host's house, but sometimes there isn't one available.

While it may be the case for some, being able to use certain cookware isn't a factor for me. I don't have a glass top stove and my cookware works both on my electric stove and my Nuwave (except my pasta pot which is not induction ready).

Super Contributor

I decided to get the Nuwave from HSN today, because it now has a larger surface. I have one stainless steel pan that is considered commercial cookware and the magnet did not stick to it. I also have one Wolfgang Puck stainless steel pan and the magnet did stick to it, so I know that one will work. Also a Technique lightweight cast iron grill pan from QVC will work because the magnet stuck to it too. All my other cookware is hard anodized Calphalon professional cookware and none of that will work. But, that's okay, two pots work and that's all I need.

Honored Contributor

Thank You for your response, Foodie! Smiley Happy I was truly curious about this, although I don't think I have a need for it at this point in my life. But they seem so popular so I figured I must be clueless as to the advantages beyond just an extra burner.

Valued Contributor
On 11/2/2014 karlam said:

I decided to get the Nuwave from HSN today, because it now has a larger surface. I have one stainless steel pan that is considered commercial cookware and the magnet did not stick to it. I also have one Wolfgang Puck stainless steel pan and the magnet did stick to it, so I know that one will work. Also a Technique lightweight cast iron grill pan from QVC will work because the magnet stuck to it too. All my other cookware is hard anodized Calphalon professional cookware and none of that will work. But, that's okay, two pots work and that's all I need.

Agree with your logic karlam. As long as you have a couple of pans that will work with the Nuwave it will be fine. Down the road if you find yourself using the Nuwave even more than you now anticipate, you can add another pot or two. They don't have to be expensive, they just need to work with induction.

Valued Contributor
On 11/2/2014 gabstoomuch said:

Thank you for asking that question. That is the one question I noticed Ming is NOT addessing! It is annoying, because they are also promoting Lorena Garcia's cookware in their cook event. Her pans are awesome, but they are that Technolon over "cast aluminum". So I am guessing Lorena's pans are not going to work on the NuWave?

I have a whole set of hard anodized from the Q also, and a magnet does not stick to the bottom. It does not describe on the bottom what the metal is either.

I am trying to get away from the black interior non-stick (since now that is not supposed to be healthy for you).

I really want that NuWave, I live alone and it would be great. But to have buy MORE pans just feels crazy to me.

gabstoomuch you're right about Lorena's cookware not working with the Nuwave. The specs on the HSN website do not list it as being compatible with induction. And as you've determined, your hard anodized with not work either.

I understand having to buy more pans to use with a Nuwave feels crazy, but if you really are excited about the Nuwave (and why wouldn't you be :-), consider doing it anyway. Purchasing a 10" frying pan and perhaps a 2 or 3 quart pot would likely meet most of your needs and won't cost a bundle. Remember they don't have to be expensive pots and pans, they just need to work with induction. If you then find yourself using the Nuwave all the time, as have I, add another pan or pot or two.

Trusted Contributor

If I had not seen it, I probably would never even know about it haha. But watching Ming it has peaked my curiosity, and this being the extended return season, I feel like I want to try it.

I guess a Walmart pan would do the trick just to try it?

Respected Contributor

I have an older version of the Nuwave and love it. Have a glass top stove that I hate because of the "cycling" of the heating elements, so enjoy having a precise temperature. I also tested the Nuwave against the stove top and yes, water does boil faster!

Gabstoomuch, I needed new pots & pans when I bought it, and got a decent 10 piece set of SS Wearever Cook & Strain that worked for around $70. Strangely enough, not all SS is induction ready. I had both the older SS 4th burner pots from QVC and one was induction capable, the other was not. Same with a SS pasta pot. So the magnet test is key.

Denise
Honored Contributor

When I got my induction burner, I put it on top of my glass top range and haven't used a burner on the range since. I don't do a huge amount of cooking, but the induction burner heats instantly, and conversely, stops instantly. I can precisely set the temperature so I don't worry about burning something. I was watching the Q late one night when they had a kitchen clearance. I picked up a cheap set of induction approved cookware for $55. This is perfect for my purpose. Before that, I was just using a 10" wok shaped skillet.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor
There is a disk you can buy to use your current cookware. I've seen it on Amazon. Just look for nuwave disk. I ordered the TS at HSN today. I have stainless cookware from the Q and have done the.magnet test. I'm getting it to use in our RV. It will save on propane costs.