Contributor

I'm thinking of buying the induction cook station but I'm wondering if my Cook's Essential stainless steel cookware will work with it. It is some of the original cookware that QVC offered years ago. I did the magnet test and it stuck. I'm concerned about the aluminum plate that is wrapped in stainless steel. Will the heat transfer through the aluminum plate? Any advice will be appreciated!

Valued Contributor

The other channel has one for $99 right now and free shipping...in case you didn't know Smiley Happy

Sorry, I'm not sure about what you're inquiring about :/

Contributor

Thank you, I do know about the other channel's offer and I'm thinking of getting it. What I'm asking about is if my cookware will work with it. I don't want to buy new cookware.

Valued Contributor

Yes, mistylady if magnets stick to your current cookware it should work fine with the Nuwave PIC Pro (or any induction cooker for that matter).

You also ask, "I'm concerned about the aluminum plate that is wrapped in stainless steel. Will the heat transfer through the aluminum plate? Any advice will be appreciated!" Yes, the heat will transfer through the aluminum plate when it's wrapped in stainless steel. In fact some of the finest cookware has an aluminum layer between stainless steel as aluminum is a great heat conductor, but it's the stainless steel layer that you need against the surface of an induction burner.

Note if you happen to have any cast iron cookware, that will also work beautifully with the Nuwave. Think Lodge cookware like your mother may have used. Also enameled cookware such as LeCreuset is great as well.

I have used my Nuwave PIC for two years and love it. I use it was all my cooking. Give it a try - I think you're going to love it.

Contributor

Thank YOU! I'm going to order it now.

Respected Contributor

Not all cookware will work with an induction top; it requires enough iron to create the induction. For example, my Rachael Ray non stick cookware is enamel over aluminum, and it's not suitable. The cookware will say so when you buy it, but generally, I believe stainless steel is required.

My brother, who loves to cook, swears by these portable cooktops. He has a range, so I'm not sure why he likes it so, except it works well for simmering.

There is a cheap book on the subject, I think it's about a buck.

Valued Contributor
On 11/2/2014 Campion said:

Not all cookware will work with an induction top; it requires enough iron to create the induction. For example, my Rachael Ray non stick cookware is enamel over aluminum, and it's not suitable. The cookware will say so when you buy it, but generally, I believe stainless steel is required.

My brother, who loves to cook, swears by these portable cooktops. He has a range, so I'm not sure why he likes it so, except it works well for simmering.

There is a cheap book on the subject, I think it's about a buck.

Campion, your information is not completely accurate. IF a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pot or pan, it's very likely to work with induction cooking. Not absolutely guaranteed, but very likely. Since Rachel Ray nonstick cookware is enamel over aluminum, you're correct, it's not going to be induction-capable. However you were not correct when you wrote, " I believe stainless steel is required." While most stainless WILL work, stainless steel is not required. Cast iron such as the Lodge brand products - think the old black cast iron skillet your mother or grandmother may have used. LeCreuset enameled cookware will also work but that's because it's enamel over cast iron, not aluminum.

If any of you are considering the purchase of this Today's Special Nuwave PIC Pro, don't be discouraged if the pots and pans you currently have won't work. You could purchase a couple of new pots and pans that would work. It doesn't have to be expensive cookware at all - it just needs to be induction-capable.

As for why your brother who has a range swears by these portable cooktops... of course I don't know your brother, but I'm guessing he appreciates the incredible, consistent and exact heat control one has with the Nuwave PICs. I know since I purchased mine, I've used it for all my cooking except pasta and that's only because my pasta pot is not induction ready.

Honored Contributor

What is the advantage of this sort of thing? Is it just like having an extra burner? Or is it that it can be used with some kinds of cookware that cannot work on a glass top stove?

I have an old electric stove (with the coils), so anything can be used on that, AFAIK. I find that four burners has always been enough for me, but maybe I'm in the minority.

But I just wonder what is the big advantage that makes this one burner worth so much. Or should I just shut up and Google it? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have 4 of the induction plates and LOVE THEM.

I did have to purchase Cooks essentials cookware from the Q to use with these plates.

If I read the instruction properly and remember correctly, cookware that a magnet will stick to it, are a-ok to use with induction plates.

I find simmer is my field and I like these plates handle simmer just right, no burning.

I don't use my range top or my stove anymore, it now holds all my cooking pots and tops.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for asking that question. That is the one question I noticed Ming is NOT addessing! It is annoying, because they are also promoting Lorena Garcia's cookware in their cook event. Her pans are awesome, but they are that Technolon over "cast aluminum". So I am guessing Lorena's pans are not going to work on the NuWave?

I have a whole set of hard anodized from the Q also, and a magnet does not stick to the bottom. It does not describe on the bottom what the metal is either.

I am trying to get away from the black interior non-stick (since now that is not supposed to be healthy for you).

I really want that NuWave, I live alone and it would be great. But to have buy MORE pans just feels crazy to me.