Honored Contributor

How to clean a Thermos container

I just bought a stainless steel Thermos beverage container.  For some reason, I actually read the instructions and it says not to use bleach to clean.  How do you clean coffee/tea stains if you can't use bleach?  That is what I have used in the past for my Contigo containers and never had a problem (whether it says not to I don't know).  I think I have tried Efferdent tablets in the past and the staining remained.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to clean a Thermos container

My husband carried a stainless steel thermos to work in the coal mine for 12 years.   I poured baking soda into the thermos, followed by white vinegar, let it foam, then sit for an hour or so, before washing as usual.  This kept the inside shiny clean.   

Honored Contributor

My guess is there could be a reaction to the metal.  I would never use bleach on anything I use that comes in contact with food.

Honored Contributor

have never used bleach or anything harsh in a thermos or special cups.

i just use hot water, detergent, and a silicone bottle brush as needed OR the dishwasher if it can go into the dishwasher.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcREHgYQEFMRMNIAqPUOod8A8FGILyhfbdv997blFVSRhSTju2BQlwlpteVkw3sHIdv6RHWjksc&usqp=CAc

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess   Same advice as @RedTop baking soda and white vinegar is what I would use for cleaning a thermos. It's one of my faithful food safe cleaning combos for many things.

Valued Contributor

My Mother used Efferdent tablets in very hot watwer. Just don't use the ones with mouth wash in them, like Listerine, because that taste will stay a while and it does not improve the coffee flavor. It takes a few washings to get that taste out. The regular tablets work well, and after you wash the Thermos out the taste doesn't linger. Let the hot water and Efferdent sit awhile and then wash the thermos out with soap.

Esteemed Contributor

You can take a dishwasher puck and drop it in the cup with hot water.  Let sit and rinse.  Shiny clean.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I just bought a stainless steel Thermos beverage container.  For some reason, I actually read the instructions and it says not to use bleach to clean.  How do you clean coffee/tea stains if you can't use bleach?  That is what I have used in the past for my Contigo containers and never had a problem (whether it says not to I don't know).  I think I have tried Efferdent tablets in the past and the staining remained.

is the inside Stainless?

I'd use bleach anyway

only thing I can think of is that repeated bleach would erode the seal 

Super Contributor

I use Oxi Clean granules (approx 1-2 tsp) and fill Thermos with hot water, shake, and let set for about half an hour.  Rinse with hot soapy water and then rinse with hot water.  Thermos looks like new!

Respected Contributor

Great tips! Thanks!