Respected Contributor

Re: Help-Remove Ink from Plastic Table

@Tigriss wrote:
I have done that before. I know alcohol removes in from clothes, but it didn't remove it from my skin, but bleach did. I will have to bring some bleach from home to try as well with the ammonia and alcohol and acetone. I won't mix them, but try them individually with time to dry in between.

@Tigriss, please water-wash between so there is no residue left before trying the next substance. It's surprised me how little it takes of ammonia and bleach to create a reaction. Just think about how much you have to rinse and rinse your hand when you get bleach on it to get rid of that slippery feeling.

When removing difficult stains, dwell time is important. Don Aslett used to stress this all the time, saying we should let the cleaners do the work. The only concerns I would have with a PLASTIC table are possibly with alcohol and definitely acetone, that they could damage the plastic if left on, dull a shiny surface permanently or even soften it.

I hope you come back and let us know what winds up working.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help-Remove Ink from Plastic Table

@noodleann I hadn't thought of the acetone damaging the tables.  I didn't get to do it today, as we did a facility wide search of all the inmates and their possessions/dorms/bunks.  I will make sure to wash in between.  The tables are a matte/dull, textured finish, so that wouldn't be a big deal.   When we have a facility gathering, the tables are borrowed and returned, so when they borrowed them today, I remembered that these probably weren't my tables to begin with, nor will I get the same ones back.  That may solve my problem anyway, but I'm still going to bring a few of the cleaners in to have on hand.  I may wait on the ammonia but do bleach, alcohol, acetone, and vinegar first with a water cleansing and drying in between.