Respected Contributor

Advice on Kitchen remodel please

[ Edited ]

My remodel will be starting soon as the city permits can be issued. I will be removing the top part of one wall and side, new floor, new everything.

I have to select cabinet hardware and would like to hear from you. What did you get and do you like it?

Any regrets on your remodel?

Thanks so much

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice on Kitchen remodel please

[ Edited ]

Get ready for spending way more than you thought you would.  A kitchen remodel is very expensive.  There is always something new that you will be pressured to buy and install.  Hope you have a nest egg.

Honored Contributor

yes, just like @maximillian said - things are quoted but of course something always overruns!  My kitchen went over budget because I didn't read the fine print well of the contract!

And I would have selected a lighter granite vs. the one I picked.  But I do love my french country kitchen.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mustang Shar: For my kitchen remodel I chose natural cherry cabinets in a butterscotch finish. Added inexpensive antique brass hardware. Low contrast, which is what I like.

Be mindful that the horizontal surfaces ( floor and countertop) coordinate and that neither is too "busy". Choose a pattern in your countertop or back splash- not both. With everything needed in a kitchen, it's a very visually "busy" room. Careful not to go too crazy with color and/ or pattern.

Plan well and enjoy your new kitchen!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stock up on wine or your  beverage of choice.  Prepare to eat out a lot.  Have your checkbook handy. Woman LOL 

We worked as our own contractors...a learning experience.  

We are, however, delighted with the results.  Good luck!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar

Maybe you can get some ideas/suggestions from these Ikea commercials....

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7bky/ikea-welcome-home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlwcLj0CSN4

rotf.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Might want to post this thread in 'Home' where I moved to to showcase my redo of my kitchen cabinets.

Valued Contributor

I bought all my cabinet hardware on line (it was MUCH less expensive).  I picked a carved (leaf design) knob and drawer pull in a dark bronze.  They really look nice with  my ivory painted cabinets.  I wanted something that would match my kitchen light over my table and the curtain rods, and have a contrast from the light cupboards with a dark kickplate.  Really like the look.

I also bought my stove exhaust fan and  faucet on-line for much better deals. 

Esteemed Contributor

A woman from my temple remodelled several years ago. She and her husband wound up with a galley-type kitchen --- much too small and narrow. They had the space to have it made larger --- and the wife told me she regretted the small kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much! Appreciate your advice especially about the budget over run . Yes, it's going to be a very trying time and keeping the doggos out of that part of the condo. Yikes