Respected Contributor

Help-Remove Ink from Plastic Table

I've got ink scribbled on my tables at work. I've tried the different cleaners we have and a magic eraser, which works well on the pencil but not on ink. The tables are the slightly textured, modern plastic, folding tables.  Because the surface isn't smooth, the ink seems to be staying.  HELP!  

Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help-Remove Ink from Plastic Table

I don't know if this will work for you but.....when my granddaughter was a toddler she found one of those thick black permanent marker and drew all over my fruitwood coffee table.  

I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I took out one of those sponge-like things (white) that takes marks off of the wall, etc. and wet it a little.

It totally took everything off of the wood but it didn't mess up the finish at all!  No one was more surprised than I was!

I also use it for removing boo boos from the fake tanning stuff on my skin and it works for so many other things.

Try it.

Honored Contributor

Hair spray will liquify the ink, I owuld test a small area first, but it is generally my go - it for ink

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

My first thought was "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" but since you tried that.............

Maybe a spritz of aerosal hairspray, let it sit a minute and then scrub if off?  Worth a try............... Good Luck : )

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I've done the Magic Eraser. It is great for everything. We use them on our marker boards at work to gently remove any marker stains and on the chalk boards. They make great erasers, but it only seems to work on the pencil. I had used it on the desks I previously had, but they had a smooth finish. The textured finish of the plastic tables seems to absorb the ink. I've not thought about using them for self-tanning boo boos. I'll add that to my little tanning kit. I'm very fair, so self tanning is the only way to go for me.
Respected Contributor

@iamstilloxox and @Irish1210 I'm thinking it is the alcohol in the hair spray that makes it work. I can't get a pressurized can into work due to security, but I may be able to get in a small travel bottle with alcohol in it. I've already read about ammonia working, so I may pick up a few of those travel bottles and bring in a small amount of rubbing alcohol and ammonia to try. It is just that darned textured surface that seems to cling to the pen. It is gang markings, so I want it off. My students got a right chewing for it. Due to the gang, I'm sure I know which ones did it, and they know I know. They haven't done any more. I don't know what it is about a table in a class that makes adults turn back into middle schoolers writing on the table!
Honored Contributor

Let maintenance or the janitor take care of it for you.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

409 worked for me once with ink.

Honored Contributor

I would use a light hand and soft scrub.

Regular Contributor

Absolutely use aerosal hair spray and a very absorbent cloth (diaper, paper towels, tp, tissues, etc).  Spray, let set a second, blot up; repeat.  It works!   I've also used on the fabric covered "walls" of the individual office sections when a pen rolled too close and the cloth just soaked up the ink right out of the tip of the pen!.