Honored Contributor

Re: Have you been to the grocery store this weekend?!

@Silver Fox1 

My DH watches the local news in the mornings and one morning, a couple of weeks ago, he texted me to tell me to bring home toilet paper.  I told him that I'd just bought some. He said to buy more.  I asked if he was having intestinal issues, lol.  He said that they said on the news to stock up on things like toilet paper. I think people were just feeling helpless and stocking up made them feel like they had some control.

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

Yeah on CNN, please chill!

I think they should be shut down!

Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 wrote:

Could someone please tell be what this thing is with toliet papper ???  I asked a couple of people but they didn't know.  Did someone say something about it on TV  or something ?  It's rediculous 

@Silver Fox1    Toilet paper is a necessity that everyone uses (I'm pretty sure) and for which there's no adequate substitute.  Anything not designed for the job will soon clog plumbing.  That's why people think they absolutely must have a long-term supply and can't risk running out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Silver Fox1 As others have mentioned, it seems to be something that people feel they can control. Doesn't make sense to me, but there have been a couple of psychologists on TV who said the same thing. And if you Google "why are people buying so much toilet paper," the word "control" comes up in the explanation.

Guess they feel they are doing something in an otherwise situation where they feel helpless. Go figure! ha!

I have a relative up in Washington state who couldn't find any toilet paper locally; he just wanted what he normally gets for the family. So he ordered it on Amazon, which on the day he did that, there was only big bulk quantities.

He spent $80 (don't know how many was in that order), and the next day he went back online and saw that the SAME order he had paid for was now costing $200! Shame on Amazon (or probably their supplier!).

Valued Contributor

I have been to a few stores-- Trader Joe's, Target and two local groceries over the weekend. That is how I usually shop --BUT it was ridiculous at a number of the stores as I have never seen such craziness.

My state has decided to close all eateries and bars as of tomorrow. At that announcement stores went even crazier. 

Trader Joe's was basicaly empty. It looked like it was going out of business. There was a LOT gone. One customer I noticed only had a cart full of water. 

OF course there was no paper goods to be had.

I am fortunate that I have goods to last. The only thing that will be needed is milk at some point and perhaps one or two other items that do not last long.

Honored Contributor

I keep  a pretty good supply of food and paper goods on hand.  I did place an order for home delivery of some items from the grocery store.  I only got a few items from my order.  No meat or fish that I ordered.  No blueberries.   Later I learned that a local church is collecting canned goods for those in need.  I went onlne to order some items to donate.  Walmart and Target--no tuna, no canned vegetables, no bread flour.   Seems no place has toilet paper, hand sanitizer, wipes,  etc.

Honored Contributor

Went Saturday for bread and yogurt.    The store was in a PAPER PANIC.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

As soon as the word “pandemic” was uttered as a possibility, I went to the grocery store, and placed my monthly WalMart order earlier than usual.   

Everything locally was fine, until the TV station in Raleigh County did an on-site story about no toilet paper or disinfecting wipes on the shelves at their Sam’s Club.   That was at 6 p.m. on the 11th.  

By noon the next day, all the stores in my area were seeing toilet paper flying out the door in record amounts.  When I went to IGA at 11:30 on Friday for eggs and beets to pickle, they had less than 25 packs of toilet paper on the 15 foot shelf.   My brother was there for groceries at 1:00 and there was no toilet paper.    

I personally think the people who have been relying on the convenience of Dollar General and WalMart runs anytime they want or need something, realize this situation means they have to think ahead to what they need, and have it in the house.  

Because they’ve never had to plan that far ahead, I think the fear and excess buying of particular products, shows they don’t know how to deal with a situation of this magnitude.   Anyone who survives this virus will learn something we didn’t know before.  

Trusted Contributor

I went to our local grocery twice, Target, Whole Foods and then Walgreens.  Was able to stock up on frozen food but no paper goods at all.  And I NEED toilet paper!  Finally got one package of tp at Walgreens.

Apparently it is a psychological control issue with the paper goods and water; our local water source was on TV assuring people there was no problem.

I could not believe how excited I was to find unlimited "Microban"--a new cleanser twice as fast as Lysol.  And it smells great!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

I always have a supply of paper goods, now haven;t been there since last week who knows but got baby wipes and if a problem will cut them in half use then don't flush don't want plummer out. I say if we all shut down then get my plastic bags put your wipes in that. I say if we have to camp.  DD works ins. co. has to work at home said well no work clothes or makeup enjoy just we have pets stock up on their food.Thank God she still is getting paid. So many people working in resturants & other jobs need tips not there. All schools in Az. on line courses but some parents taking time off. I am sad for all of them. We will be strong and figure it all out. calm down don't overstock we all need food. allow for other people.