Honored Contributor

Re: Have you been to the grocery store this weekend?!

Yes, DH and I went a couple days ago. What an experience.  We thought the news media was just hype.  Well, its not.  There is NO TP --- any where!  There are no sanitizing products --- any where!  At least not that I can find!  And yesterday I had to get some prescriptions and several stores had no bread products and no eggs, as well!  Bottled water was also in short supply.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

It is crazy out there, let me tell you. We went to Costco on Wednesday.  I went to the back of the store where the paper products are. They didn't have any toilet paper and when I asked the stockers there, they said that they had it this morning but it was gone. We got there around 200pm,

Yesterday I went to Wegmans to pick up a few things.. I have never, ever, seen so many empty shelves in my life. NO, water, toilet paper, sugar, cleaning supplies were picked over, no napkins, frozen food cases had less than half in them. I could go on and on. It was sad..

I believe this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Everyone take care, stay in,if you can, and  till it is safe to venture out.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  I'm still trying to figure out what everyone is doing with all the toilet paper they bought, that stuff isn't cheep to buy.  I worry about the panic buying and the amount of debt people are putting themselves in buying ecxess food and paper products.  Our paper product shelves are bare as a baby's bottom in our small town.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to Meijer Saturday between 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. as I just needed to pick up a few items after I finished up my errands.

They had eggs but were getting low.  There was a great deal of their chicken breasts but they were completely out and the rest of the chicken was getting low.  I didn't need toilet paper but just wanted to see if they were out...they were.  I wanted to pick up a hand soap for the bathroom and they were completely out except for some really expensive brands.

I'm glad that I'm generally a person who will stock up on things (but not a hoarder, LOL!) so I should have everything I need until the madness starts to die down.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Actually went this a.m. for produce and things were pretty normal--got what I needed and was  in and out in a good amount of time---a few people there and a few empty shelves-----but everyone was taking the 6 ft person distancing  space during check out---I have groceries coming Wednesday night----maybe----I ordered Sunday a.m.---this should be interesting. I normally shop on line anyway---

Valued Contributor

This really is crazy.  I did not worry as DH and I can survive probably 3 months out of our pantry and freezer but when I got a call the grands will probably be coming because of school cancelled the type of things kind of changed.  Ran to the store this am, NO meats, NO paper products, NO Water.  Fortunatley I did not need those but I did pick up cereal and Toast-r-Strudels. No problem there.  Seeing the shelves like that did initially send a sense of panic through me but then I took a deep breath. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@World Traveler 

I was wondering the same thing about the water. It's not as if aliens have poisoned our water supply. 

The only item that has me worried is eggs.  I use a lot of them for cooking and baking.   I ordered a powdered, vegan egg substitute from Amazon this morning. I'll use it for baking or when I need egg as an ingredient, so I can save the fresh eggs for more important things.  I sure hope this grocery situation calms down. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 4.02.41 PM.png

@house_cat 

You can use flax seeds or chia seeds. There are other alternatives.

Healthline dot com lists 13 effective substitues for eggs.

Respected Contributor

Nope.  We'd been planning to shop for the "few things" we missed on our last shopping trip, otherwise we're good.

Dug through the freezer, finding some shredded cooked pork and brioche buns, but forgot the Sweet Baby Ray's. Woman Sad

Got creative and found a BBQ Sauce recipe - if it turns out good, I shall name it Sweet Baby Denise's!  Woman LOL

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I made the mistake of going to WM this morning (Monday), thinking it probably wouldn't be too bad. Wrong thinking on my part! The place was packed and many of the shelves were empty or near empty. Thankfully they were still stocked  with cat food or my four kitties wouldn't have allowed me back in the house!

I ended up stopping at one of our local grocers and things were much better there....plenty (or enough) items available and there weren't masses of panicked shoppers. Leaving that store, I vowed that I will not step one foot in WM - it was distressing - and will instead shop at two of my favorite local grocers. They're more expensive, but at this point I don't care.

Honored Contributor

not fun shopping any more. Seems we can't enjoy anything any more.

People are taking everything not nailed down.

No bread, no paper goods, no ham, no hamburger, 2 half gallons of milk left on shelf, not the brand I usually buy , but, I grabbed one and was glad to get it.

Only thing they had plenty of was vegetables LOL, no soup

It's not this bad when there's a bad weather alert put out. long lines, exhausted cashiers, one girl said she needed to P something awful and couldn't get away. One gal was bought a bottle of water to keep going.

I got depressed and left.