Honored Contributor

Re: Have you been to the grocery store this weekend?!

@World Traveler wrote:

Went to buy groceries this morning, which I usually do on this day of the week. Because I go when the place just opens up (6:00am), there are usually only about ten other people in the place. When I drove into the parking lot, almost every space was taken already!

It is usually nice, quiet time shopping at this place, sipping on my Starbucks as I go up and down the aisle. Not today! 

Really ticks me off to see all these people hoarding stuff! I just got my usual items for the week, not getting anything more than I normally do. These people are followers. If they see someone else taking a bunch of stuff, they were doing it too. I asked one person why he was taking large containers of water; didn't his faucet work at home? He said he was doing it because everyone else was! I walked right by the water. The water at home, with a filter on it, is just fine.

Of course, there were no paper towels, toilet paper, napkins, etc. I didn't need them, but it was so pathetic looking to see people freaking out and grabbing anything and everything. One person told someone else, "I don't care for this, but I better take it, just in case." Sad.

I talked with the produce guy, saying "I guess this is good for business, right?" He said, "No, everyone is mad at me because I couldn't get what I ordered." He ordered four times as much potatoes than what he received. "People think I didn't order enough, but the supplier isn't giving all the outlets as much as they are asking for because they don't have enough either."

If people would just calm down and be sensible, not hoard, everyone would be fine with getting the products they want/need.

We aren't going to stop people hoarding or overbuying even when it isn't hoarding, during a time of crisis. The time this has to be addressed is during a time of non crisis, and people need to be made to see the light in having a certain amount of stock in their homes. I'm not going to say what amount it should be, that is kind of a personal choice, based on need (a single person needs less than a family of 10), availability of resources (how much money they have to work with) and space to store. 

But short of limits set by retailers at this time, and many of those limits falling way short of what some people might need, (therfore making the panic even more intense for them, especially if they are large families, or the one person sent out to shop for several households who are self quarantining), this is to be expected, anticipated and personally planned for so we don't have to be a part of it. 

I've said it before, but preparing a stock of goods necessary to get one through a lean time, can be done over time, when not in crisis, for as little as just a couple dollars a week. 

I wonder if people who are so upset about this, who are just going and getting 'their regular things for the week' consider that they are actually contributing to the problem and their own stress levels. If they were more and better prepared, and had to get nothing for weeks, or say, just a fraction of what they normally would buy, they would be freeing up products space and time for others, and not have to worry in the least what was going on and how it was going to affect them. Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

I went over the weekend and only bought what I normally buy for the week.  One jug of bottled water and no toilet paper.  I have four rolls at home and do not buy more until down to two.  I live alone so that helps on supply and demand in my home.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@hayseed00 wrote:

@house_cat  I'm still trying to figure out what everyone is doing with all the toilet paper they bought, that stuff isn't cheep to buy.  I worry about the panic buying and the amount of debt people are putting themselves in buying ecxess food and paper products.  Our paper product shelves are bare as a baby's bottom in our small town.

@hayseed00 

I answered this on another thread.  There are many people who are forced to telecommute or stay at home.  In my case, both BF and I are at home, where normally we would be out of the house for 8 hours or more each.  They have encouraged people to drink more fluids, and in my case as a teacher, I am drinking more because I am no longer limited as to if/when I can use the bathroom.  So our consumption has doubled, and in the case of families, imagine a family of five with multiple baths- if everyone is home all day, how long will it take them to go through a package?

It does seem counter intuitive, when this virus isn't presenting with gastro intestinal issues, that TP would be the thing that people are going nuts on.

I wonder how many of you have actually calculated your use of tp in your normal life. I know I have, as I have done  many years ago, with other goods from toothpaste to laundry soap, and from deodorant to trash bags. That is how I calculate what a year's suppply is. 

People who don't really know how much they use in a week, are assuming, and often wrong in guessing too much or too little. 

Then add having people at home for maybe weeks or months on end, when usually they are using the tp at work and school for 8 to 12 hours a day, and that drives up consumption considerably. 

In my house, we calculate on giant roll per person, per week as what is commonly used. If you have guests, or if you have people coming in during this time, like having to watch your grand kids, it will exceed your normal need. Having illness could use more.

Then once something essential becomes hard to find. it just drives the demand even more. Even people who have it want more in case they can't get it later or in case the prices go up. People miscalculating on the low side of what they actually need, get stressed when what they thought was enough, isn't, and they buy even more the next time. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just made a Costco run this morning, arriving 15 minutes before they opened at 10.  To my surprise, there was a line the entire length of the building and beyond.  We were fortunate enough to make the second entrance into the store (150 at a time).  Low and behold, we found our favorite TP, Charmin (limit 1 as they have been doing), paper towels, hand sanitizers, water bottles (2 cases only as usual), head scan thermometer and other things that we wished to pick up.  Almost all of the registers were open. In and out in no time.

Valued Contributor

My kitchen and bathroom is well stock. Thank godness.Did not have to go and fight for TP or paper towels.Both freezers are full. Cupboard is full.If my neighbors are in need,I will share.

Yesterday I when to ebay to see what craziness  people were up to. Sure enough some one selling four squares of toilet paper for $1.50. Even some were selling TP at regular prices, but they were charging 40 to 50 dollars for shipping. One vender was charging over $2,000.00  for 24 rolls of TP. Some people are taking advantage during this crisis,by price gouging. During a crisis there will. always be those who take advantage and those who try to help.Also those who don't have a clue.

*@mominohio good advise,one I have follow  all my adult life.Living in the Miami area,Hurricane season you learn to be prepared  24/7.