Super Contributor

I use an Italian glass measuring glass. Amici Dostatore Measuring Jar. I never put it in either the dishwasher or the microwave. There is no painting on it just raised measurements. I wish I could find another one just like it but half the size maybe.

Honored Contributor

shoekitty, if these are the Anchor Hocking ones, we have them and love them. We have two 8-ounce ones and two 16-ounce ones. We bought them on Amazon.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I can't believe it. I bought a new 1 cup glass measuring cup yesterday. I can't remember how but somehow my 25+ year old Pyrex one broke. It still had all the lettering still on it. I never thought when I bought the one yesterday that the lettering would wear off.

My new one is by Anchor Hocking. Will see how it holds up.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one that is barely legible at this point and asked DH about it. He said that dishwasher detergent etches the glass/paint over years of use, hence the loss of red letters and numbers on one of my glass measuring cups.

Because my dominant right hand is only 50% as strong as it used to be due to surgery, I've started purchasing glass measuring vessels from The Container Store. They have nice big handles that don't weigh a ton, letters and numbers that are easy to read, look like lab-ware, and have a spout that never drips (!). I love these cups, so am purchasing them one at a time, as they're a tick pricey.

Honored Contributor
On 5/24/2014 suzyQ3 said:

shoekitty, if these are the Anchor Hocking ones, we have them and love them. We have two 8-ounce ones and two 16-ounce ones. We bought them on Amazon.

suzy

They are not marked. I have had them since the 70's, and I think my grandma...or someone's gramma had them. I estimate them to be about 1930-5.

I went to eBay and looked for the 1 cup 3 spout. I saw the 2 cup, but maybe they are out of the one cup. Do you know where they are made? Doesn't say USA or imported. I would like to retire my 1 cup antique measuring cup, and get a replacement. If you seethis I left you a comment in one ofthe threads yesterday

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I've got two 2 cup ones & a 1 cup one. They are all pretty old & no flaking problems at all. I think all three are Pyrex.

Honored Contributor
On 5/23/2014 kachina624 said:
On 5/23/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/23/2014 chickenbutt said:

It might be the dishwasher

I'm sure of it.

I also think it's the dishwasher.

I also agree that it is the dishwasher. I'm on my second 1 cup after 40+ years and this one is still legible.

Honored Contributor
On 5/25/2014 shoekitty said:
On 5/24/2014 suzyQ3 said:

suzy

They are not marked. I have had them since the 70's, and I think my grandma...or someone's gramma had them. I estimate them to be about 1930-5.

I went to eBay and looked for the 1 cup 3 spout. I saw the 2 cup, but maybe they are out of the one cup. Do you know where they are made? Doesn't say USA or imported. I would like to retire my 1 cup antique measuring cup, and get a replacement. If you seethis I left you a comment in one ofthe threads yesterday

Thanks!

Anchor Hocking products are made in the U.S, according to the information on their site.

The measuring cups I mentioned that we purchased on amazon (three spout/raised numbers) came in both 8- and 16-ounce sizes. But I see only the 16-ounce now. They do have a triple pour 8-ounce beaker-like measuring cup (no handle).

The 16-ounce is $14.99. Here is a LINK to the item page.

I'll check out the comment you left for me. Smile

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The cup shoekitty is showing looks like a Hazel Atlas. They came in clear, green and pink. Some have the word Kelloggs (the cereal) on the bottom. Some are marked with an H over an A on the bottom, most are not. Anchor Hocking also made a similar cup in their Fire King line that is light blue. All of these are very collectible and can be picked up at an antique mall or on Ebay. Just keep checking.

Contributor

The older ones did not go through the dishwasher. I wash mine by hand.