Honored Contributor

We don't have a Costco here but do have Sam's Club. I will sample things there, if they interest me, because they have very monitored and fresh samples, with people at the station and refilling constantly, everything in single serve sample cups or napkins, just very well monitored and presented.

Most other places, I pass it by. The food is unattended, sitting out for who knows how long, all kinds of people's hands in it, picked through, put back, just gross.

There have been times where I have been very hungry and had not eaten for many hours, gone to Sam's to shop, and "eaten my way through the samples" there. It is a real learning experience about portion control. A taste (most samples are one or two bites of the item) of 5 or 6 different things provides variety, satisfies a sweet tooth or the want of something salty, and by the end of the trip, I'm full enough and satisfied. Had I went to a restaurant, I'd have eaten a much bigger quantity of food, with many more calories, and maybe not been as satisfied because I didn't get as much variety in the meal. It makes me do this at home sometimes. Many different items for lunch or dinner, but just a taste of each one. Seem so much more satisfying to me.

Super Contributor
On 11/16/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 11/16/2014 Issiestorm said:

I used to work at Whole Foods. We always put out free samples. Usually around the holidays there were always free cookies and I've seen people take around half a dozen or more, then get a coffee and sit down. We had to put a sign 'one per customer' but that didn't always work. The gluttony of people can be a real turnoff. I've also seen people pick up something and then put it back. I avoid free samples.

The Whole Foods out here (Las Vegas) has a small kiosk setup for free shots of vodka, I kid you not. I don't drink so I just walk on by but one day when they were slow, the woman working it called out to me hey, do you want some vodka. I thought that was really dumb since Whole Foods is geared to healthy food and anyone who sees me knows that I have low body weight...one shot of vodka would not be good for me....so, I didn't care for her question at all. Simply said no thank you. You should see the lushes including fat old men who line up for the stuff. That's why there's so many fender benders out here. Auto insurance is one of the highest in the country from the 24 hr liquor license here.

edited:typo

Yikes! I think that's extremely irresponsible of Whole Foods.

Honored Contributor

I do look forward to samples when I go to Costco's. I don't bother f the lines are long, also the sample at Trader Joe's

Respected Contributor
On 11/16/2014 ILikeShade said:

I used to work at Whole Foods. We always put out free samples. Usually around the holidays there were always free cookies and I've seen people take around half a dozen or more, then get a coffee and sit down. We had to put a sign 'one per customer' but that didn't always work. The gluttony of people can be a real turnoff. I've also seen people pick up something and then put it back. I avoid free samples.

The Whole Foods out here (Las Vegas) has a small kiosk setup for free shots of vodka, I kid you not. I don't drink so I just walk on by but one day when they were slow, the woman working it called out to me hey, do you want some vodka. I thought that was really dumb since Whole Foods is geared to healthy food and anyone who sees me knows that I have low body weight...one shot of vodka would not be good for me....so, I didn't care for her question at all. Simply said no thank you. You should see the lushes including fat old men who line up for the stuff. That's why there's so many fender benders out here. Auto insurance is one of the highest in the country from the 24 hr liquor license here.

edited:typo

Yikes! I think that's extremely irresponsible of Whole Foods.

Yes, I feel the same way. The first time I saw the kiosk, I was shocked but figured this is Las Vegas and Whole Foods is probably a little different out here but still, they certainly don't sell cigarettes or e-cigs so why hard liquor....maybe it would be easier to understand if it was wine. But can you imagine if someone was an alcoholic or recovering and they walked by a kiosk for free shots of vodka from their grocery store? Wow, it just doesn't make sense.

Respected Contributor

I never try food samples due to stomach issues but up until last year DH always did depending on where it was. Last year at Costco we both saw a woman giving out free samples of food and she had a bad cold and actually blew her nose and put the tissue back in her pocket and then a couple of minutes later took out the same tissue and blew her nose in it again and continued to handle the food. She had a bad cold and a bad cough and was coughing all over the place. After seeing that DH has never tried any free food samples again.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/16/2014 mominohio said:

We don't have a Costco here but do have Sam's Club. I will sample things there, if they interest me, because they have very monitored and fresh samples, with people at the station and refilling constantly, everything in single serve sample cups or napkins, just very well monitored and presented.

Most other places, I pass it by. The food is unattended, sitting out for who knows how long, all kinds of people's hands in it, picked through, put back, just gross.

There have been times where I have been very hungry and had not eaten for many hours, gone to Sam's to shop, and "eaten my way through the samples" there. It is a real learning experience about portion control. A taste (most samples are one or two bites of the item) of 5 or 6 different things provides variety, satisfies a sweet tooth or the want of something salty, and by the end of the trip, I'm full enough and satisfied. Had I went to a restaurant, I'd have eaten a much bigger quantity of food, with many more calories, and maybe not been as satisfied because I didn't get as much variety in the meal. It makes me do this at home sometimes. Many different items for lunch or dinner, but just a taste of each one. Seem so much more satisfying to me.

I like that phrase!

DH goes crazy over free food. He acts like the only thing in our fridge is an onion in a glass. I keep the kitchen well stocked.

He will not get the samples at Costco or BJs! It's like he's exercising some bizarre self control.

Me? I'll sample if it's something new for me, if I'm hungry or even if it looks appetizing.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/16/2014 luvsbulldogs said:

I never try food samples due to stomach issues but up until last year DH always did depending on where it was. Last year at Costco we both saw a woman giving out free samples of food and she had a bad cold and actually blew her nose and put the tissue back in her pocket and then a couple of minutes later took out the same tissue and blew her nose in it again and continued to handle the food. She had a bad cold and a bad cough and was coughing all over the place. After seeing that DH has never tried any free food samples again.

ew!!!!!!!! That's just wrong!

I'm sure there were people eating up those free samples.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor
On 11/16/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 11/16/2014 glmama said: I am not typically a sample-taker. Unless I'm the first to it, so-to-speak. I think with me its a germ thing--all those hands!:-0 I know that BJs tries to put out individual sample portions, not a communal thing. But still. Unless it's something I'm dying to try I generally not going in.

BJ's had samples of their k-cup coffee not long ago. I did get a few of those!

Well, of course, free coffee is a different story!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I might sample here and there at Sam's Club. But Hubby and I usually go and get the hot dog and drink special for $1.70.