Honored Contributor

Every season, my local Wegman's has a fantastic day of samples. The last theme was cooking with fresh vegetables.

There was veggie pizza, Brussel sprouts with pancetta, spinach bread, vegetable soup, veggie sushi - all the departments participated. They have recipe cards in all the departments too and chefs available to answer questions.

I never had tried butternut squash with kale before - now I'm making it for Thanksgiving.

It's always fun!

Respected Contributor
On 11/16/2014 Issiestorm said:

I used to work at Whole Foods. We always put out free samples. Usually around the holidays there were always free cookies and I've seen people take around half a dozen or more, then get a coffee and sit down. We had to put a sign 'one per customer' but that didn't always work. The gluttony of people can be a real turnoff. I've also seen people pick up something and then put it back. I avoid free samples.

The Whole Foods out here (Las Vegas) has a small kiosk setup for free shots of vodka, I kid you not. I don't drink so I just walk on by but one day when they were slow, the woman working it called out to me hey, do you want some vodka. I thought that was really dumb since Whole Foods is geared to healthy food and anyone who sees me knows that I have low body weight...one shot of vodka would not be good for me....so, I didn't care for her question at all. Simply said no thank you. You should see the lushes including fat old men who line up for the stuff. That's why there's so many fender benders out here. Auto insurance is one of the highest in the country from the 24 hr liquor license here.

edited:typo

Frequent Contributor

At work, there were meetings with lunch included. One time, I remember when the word got out that there was 'free food' down the hall, people made a B-line to that conference room. But, this was BEFORE the meeting even started!! They just had to cover it up again nicely with the plastic wrap.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/15/2014 ECBG said:

Usually I don't. Free food is still in your daily calorie count!

This! It adds up quickly!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor
I am not typically a sample-taker. Unless I'm the first to it, so-to-speak. I think with me its a germ thing--all those hands!:-0 I know that BJs tries to put out individual sample portions, not a communal thing. But still. Unless it's something I'm dying to try I generally not going in.
Esteemed Contributor

I used to work at Whole Foods. We always put out free samples. Usually around the holidays there were always free cookies and I've seen people take around half a dozen or more, then get a coffee and sit down. We had to put a sign 'one per customer' but that didn't always work. The gluttony of people can be a real turnoff. I've also seen people pick up something and then put it back. I avoid free samples.

Exactly! Sometimes, not always, but more often than not, I get real disgusted just seeing how people act.

I stopped by Costco after work one night. This sweet, older gentleman told me that the samples were his dinner. I thought that was cute!

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/16/2014 glmama said: I am not typically a sample-taker. Unless I'm the first to it, so-to-speak. I think with me its a germ thing--all those hands!:-0 I know that BJs tries to put out individual sample portions, not a communal thing. But still. Unless it's something I'm dying to try I generally not going in.

BJ's had samples of their k-cup coffee not long ago. I did get a few of those!

Honored Contributor

I'm far too skittish for that. I have enough food neuroses to cover pretty much any reason not to be interested in food that's been handled by many random people.

More for everybody else. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
On 11/16/2014 starpolisher said:

At the school I work at when they really want parents to come. They offer free food. What a big difference in turnout. It's sad.

That is just beyond sad.

Super Contributor
On 11/16/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Exactly! Sometimes, not always, but more often than not, I get real disgusted just seeing how people act.

I stopped by Costco after work one night. This sweet, older gentleman told me that the samples were his dinner. I thought that was cute!

Sadly, there are probably a number of elderly people who do this, not out of greediness, but because they're so strapped financially. I don't begrudge them that. It's the customers who are obviously just out for any freebie that turn me off. The WF I worked at also had special treats for young children. More often than not, the mother would ask for an extra one for herself, or eat half of her kid's treat.