Respected Contributor

I always buy Egglands best also. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@sann wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I always get excellent pasture raised eggs from Aldi.  In my last dozen I had four with double yolks! 

Pasture raised are the best ....sometimes Sam's Club and Costco will have the Organic Pasture raised...

@sann  I wish my Costco had them, but they don't.  They only have white and brown cage free, which is a gimmicky advertising ploy and means nothing regarding the treatment of the hens or quality of the eggs. 

So true.... my opinion it's just a marketing gimmick......

Super Contributor

i also buy Egglands Best...They are more expensive but they also have a longer expiration date. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   Your post pulled a long-lost memory from my old brain.  We had eggs delivered to the house from a nearby farm.  The farmer's wife arrrived with her basket and walked into the kitchen.  I still remember the large metal bowl (green outside/cream in) into which she piled eggs one by one.    No idea how many or the cost; just can't recall ever buying eggs any other way until I was adult and no longer lived in that central PA town.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

My eggs taste great!  However I purchase them directly from the farm where you can see the chickens roaming out in the pasture.

@haddon9    They are always the best kind of eggs.

Actually I prefer store eggs.  They are USDA inspected eggs, and there are no "surprises" inside--or at least far far less likely to be.  I don't like surprises in eggs. . . Woman Frustrated
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

My eggs taste great!  However I purchase them directly from the farm where you can see the chickens roaming out in the pasture.

@haddon9    They are always the best kind of eggs.

Actually I prefer store eggs.  They are USDA inspected eggs, and there are no "surprises" inside--or at least far far less likely to be.  I don't like surprises in eggs. . . Woman Frustrated

@Sooner   The only surprise that I have gotten is a double yolk egg.  I've been buying farm fresh eggs for almost ten years now and what I have noticed is that the yolks are a very deep yellow color...almost orange.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

Those WM eggs likely came from a supplier who just feeds standard laying mash to the chickens.  The feed supplies enough nutrition to keep the chickens laying, a standard, low grade egg with pale yolks.  

The darker yolk is an indication of a better diet; far more nutrients than the standard laying mash.  A steady diet of bugs, grass, vegetable scraps, fruits, especially overripe bananas, as well as crushed eggshells, even coffee grounds, greatly improve the quality (and taste) of eggs.   

@Sooner 

I totally agree with wanting NO surprises in eggs.  Just yesterday I watched Miss Brown's cooking show and she broke the eggs directly into the mixer and one had a nice red blood spot inside.   

Trucker daughter started buying fresh eggs from a friend, but when that last dozen had 4 rotten eggs in it, I insisted she stop buying from that person, as they were not gathering their eggs often enough.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe my sliced onions in a zip lock bag is to close to the egg carton

I noticed when I was eating a hamburger with onions had the same smell

as the eggs.

wouldn't think since they're in zip lock bag and eggs in carton they could intermingle ?

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@SharkE 

Those WM eggs likely came from a supplier who just feeds standard laying mash to the chickens.  The feed supplies enough nutrition to keep the chickens laying, a standard, low grade egg with pale yolks.  

The darker yolk is an indication of a better diet; far more nutrients than the standard laying mash.  A steady diet of bugs, grass, vegetable scraps, fruits, especially overripe bananas, as well as crushed eggshells, even coffee grounds, greatly improve the quality (and taste) of eggs.   

@Sooner 

I totally agree with wanting NO surprises in eggs.  Just yesterday I watched Miss Brown's cooking show and she broke the eggs directly into the mixer and one had a nice red blood spot inside.   

Trucker daughter started buying fresh eggs from a friend, but when that last dozen had 4 rotten eggs in it, I insisted she stop buying from that person, as they were not gathering their eggs often enough.  

@RedTop I'm with you.  Eggs are easy to get wrong.  So that's why we've settled on EB eggs--they are consistently good.  

Unless we knew someone and had a lot of confidence in them and their poultry keeping habits, we're very happy with EB. My grandma had chickens. A lot of dirt and nasty comes with chickens!  Woman Embarassed

Regular Contributor

I feel really lucky.  I get the best eggs from my 8 "grandchickens" that are at my kids home.  So when I visit each month, I get a stash to take home and enjoy.  The chickens run out free during the day and lay the most beautiful colored eggs I have ever seen.  Some are pink, others are peach colored, greenish with light blue interior shells, tan, white and cream.  The yolks are large and brightly colored and the whites do not have all that white albumin strands in them.  And they taste fantastic.  They can be kept on the counter for up to a month as long as you don't wash off the protective natural coating on them.  Once washed they have to go in the refirgerator like commercial eggs from the store.  When I bring them home I put them in a basket on the counter and my cat goes nuts sniffing them and trying to get them out to play with.  Then they go in a lock n lock egg box with a cover on the counter to keep them from the nosy kitty.  

In the winter when the chickens are not laying much, I get my eggs usually at Aldi's or Winco.  The jumbo ones at Winco have lots of double yokers in the dozen.