Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wash and re-use storage bags?

No.  I use my FoodSaver bags once especially if they contained meat.  I don't have the room to have them "hanging around" while they dry and don't want to use extra water to really clean them out well.  If they had a piece of cheese that was already wrapped in plastic wrap (or something similar), I would reuse them.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could get DH to do this.  He is so wasteful with this kind of stuff.  I try to talk to him about it and he gets kind of peeved and so I just give up.  I am not cheap by any means but I believe in being frugal and re-using things if you can.  It not only saves money but is good to recycle and not have so much waste!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

No! too much bacteria floating around in them.

This is pretty much my thought as well.  Same with green bags.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I've never thought about washing and re-using to be honest.  No, I don't do that.

Honored Contributor

Yes I do--I soak them in hot soapy water or put them in the dishwasher and re use them until there is nothing left--I use my food saver all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your opinions.  

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

I've never thought about washing and re-using to be honest.  No, I don't do that.

@Mj12, it never occurred to me, and no, I wouldn't do it either.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Mostly I use Lock and Lock since I have so many pieces but when I use plastic bags which is rarely I throw away after using. Food storage bags too.

Honored Contributor

Yes until they can go no further.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

We must make a conscious effort to eliminate as much plastic as we can.  Not saying it is always easy.  I never use plastic bags to store leftovers, etc, I use only glass containers -- not plastic.  I bring my own bags to the grocery store.  I obviously recycle as well.  Absolutely no styrophome plates/cups and no plastic straws.  It takes a concerted effort to elimate as much plastic as we can to save the planet.  I'm far from perfect, but I try my best.