Honored Contributor

did you know that david was in the ft lauderdale airport at the time of the shootings the other day? he was luckily in one terminal over though.

he mentioned it on air yesterday with kirsten and i believe he was interviewed locally in philadelphia.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

Have to turn off the Honey Bell man. He is a nice gentleman, but hate the sloppy way that he presents his product. What happened to having a neat presentation   of food?

Respected Contributor
He said he was in the last flight out before they closed down the airport! Thank God he is safe and sound.
Respected Contributor
The honeybell man is a sweet endearing old gentleman. Hes been on QVC for years. He tends to eat "sloppily" because he likes to show how juicy they are. So juicy he recommends a bib.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
The honeybell man is a sweet endearing old gentleman. Hes been on QVC for years. He tends to eat "sloppily" because he likes to show how juicy they are. So juicy he recommends a bib.

I think honeybells are better for juicing than eating out of hand.  They look like a sticky mess.

Honored Contributor

Mary is doing a nice job today.  She's very brave to eat chicken wings live on air!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

@momtochloe Even though I am not from the South, I was born and raised in MN, and everybody just assumes we ALL sound like the characters from the movie "Fargo", yes some areas of the state have a more pronouced accent, but not everybody!

@CareBears I have lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life and it never ceases to amuse me how some folks feather's get ruffled if the word "Chicago" isn't pronounced "correctly" . . . sigh . . . Smiley Happy

So what is the local approved pronunciation?  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@CareBears wrote:

@momtochloe Even though I am not from the South, I was born and raised in MN, and everybody just assumes we ALL sound like the characters from the movie "Fargo", yes some areas of the state have a more pronouced accent, but not everybody!

@CareBears I have lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life and it never ceases to amuse me how some folks feather's get ruffled if the word "Chicago" isn't pronounced "correctly" . . . sigh . . . Smiley Happy

So what is the local approved pronunciation?  

This is where the rub comes in . . . in the suburbs the "ca" is the softer "caw" version but in many of the areas closer to the city the SNL version (da Bears) is more common . . . Smiley Happy

It's funny because many decades ago my company merged with a company in England and when they would visit they commented on all of our different accents . . . huh? . . . in the midwest? . . . tee hee!

For me, I don't think you have to travel too far until you start to hear the subtle changes.

Respected Contributor

@leighagemini wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

< "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  >

@Perkup I think that showed predjudice on your teacher' s part more than whoever they were speaking of as percieving southerners as being "fools".

No.  You could not be more wrong.  They were trying to prepare us for our futures, knowing that if we moved to Connecticut (or elsewhere out of Georgia) as I did, we would have been the source of geographical amusement for people who spoke correctly.  When I moved to the N.E. I had scores of  people ask me why I had no accent.  It was thanks to some wonderful, forward thinking women who knew that we would end up living in places where syrupy Southern accents would be less than appreciated. I am very appreciative of their help and foresight. They were 110% correct in their training.

You're ashamed that you are from the South and wanted to conform to be "proper". Don't put that on anyone other than yourself.

Oh, my goodness!!  You certainly read incorrect things into the posts here, don't you?  I am 110% proud of being from the South. I can't imagine being from anywhere else. BUT,  like my wonderful teachers taught me, I would not always live here. I've lived many places around the country, and never felt uncomfortable whether speaking in putlic arenas or in private conversations.  I am putting nothing on anybody, including you, but I am giving credit where credit is due to those who deserve my gratitude for teaching me more than just reading, writing and arithmetic;  but including wonderful advice and challenges of every kind to open my mind to the future.

Please understanad that your responses do not really deserve a response, and thus will not receive any further attention. You obviously wish to start somethng that I don't care to participate in. Bye.