Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  

I haven't watched in a long while and was looking forward to David's return.

Wishing him well and happy to see Mary's success.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@momtochloe Even though I am not from the South, I was born and raised in MN, and everybody just assumes we ALL sound like the characters from the movie "Fargo", yes some areas of the state have a more pronouced accent, but not everybody!

@CareBears I have lived in the Chicagoland area my entire life and it never ceases to amuse me how some folks feather's get ruffled if the word "Chicago" isn't pronounced "correctly" . . . sigh . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

< "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  >

@Perkup I think that showed predjudice on your teacher' s part more than whoever they were speaking of as percieving southerners as being "fools".

No.  You could not be more wrong.  They were trying to prepare us for our futures, knowing that if we moved to Connecticut (or elsewhere out of Georgia) as I did, we would have been the source of geographical amusement for people who spoke correctly.  When I moved to the N.E. I had scores of  people ask me why I had no accent.  It was thanks to some wonderful, forward thinking women who knew that we would end up living in places where syrupy Southern accents would be less than appreciated. I am very appreciative of their help and foresight. They were 110% correct in their training.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup

I have to agree with you.  

I grew up in NYC where I lived for 42 years. When I moved to California I quickly realized that my NY accent was going to be an issue. Job interviews were awkward, because this was usually the first thing they noticed and mentioned.  When I first began teaching here, the kids said I sounded like the girl from My Cousin Vinny (wish I looked like her).  It was a distraction to them.

I've been here 16 years now and I no longer have a NY accent, unless I get really upset, for some reason that's when it comes back, lol. 

I think regional accents are endearing, but when you move out of the region, they can work against you in a professional setting.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat Even some phrases or words that I grew up using each and every day mark me as being "Minnesotan", what some people believe astounds me!

Super Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

< "You won't always live in the South and you don't want to be thought a fool because of your language and pronunciation."  >

@Perkup I think that showed predjudice on your teacher' s part more than whoever they were speaking of as percieving southerners as being "fools".

No.  You could not be more wrong.  They were trying to prepare us for our futures, knowing that if we moved to Connecticut (or elsewhere out of Georgia) as I did, we would have been the source of geographical amusement for people who spoke correctly.  When I moved to the N.E. I had scores of  people ask me why I had no accent.  It was thanks to some wonderful, forward thinking women who knew that we would end up living in places where syrupy Southern accents would be less than appreciated. I am very appreciative of their help and foresight. They were 110% correct in their training.

You're ashamed that you are from the South and wanted to conform to be "proper". Don't put that on anyone other than yourself.

Respected Contributor
Sounds like hes had a rough few days. Wasnt he caught in the middle of the incident at Fort Lauderdale airport trying to come back from vacation ? Now hes lost his voice?
Occasional Contributor

I agree. It must be reup of contract time.

Esteemed Contributor

Tried watching today.  While I do like Mary, ITKD just ain't the same without David, imho.   Then when that KA lady came on - just can't watch her as there's something about her voice and attitude that irks me.  Just switched back and now it's the honeybells:  bought them years ago and they were excellent, but, last time I got them, the quality had gone down.  So, guess I'll go out and shovel  it's wicked cold here today but prefer that to ITKD today.

Honored Contributor

you girls.....................Woman Wink