Esteemed Contributor

Cheese Cloth Method For Roasting Turkey

I'm doing the Martha Stewart cheese cloth method for roasting the turkey. Has anyone ever tried this?

no brine cheese cloth method 

How can it possibly go wrong!!?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cheese Cloth Method For Roasting Turkey

I saw that demoed on her program.

How can it go wrong in MY kitchen? Let me count the ways!  😁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

I'm doing the Martha Stewart cheese cloth method for roasting the turkey. Has anyone ever tried this?

@Harpa 

LOL ....   How could it go wrong?   Woman LOL   Woman LOL   Woman LOL

Well, I've never done it ... but I've seen the end result twice, and both times it was ... less than attractive.  In both cases (two different cooks) the cloth stuck to the skin and when removed it pulled off all the skin with it.   Looked like the family pet got at it.

Frankly, although I think Martha has great information, I would never put fabric on a Thanksgiving turkey.  JMO, of course.

Consider a Plan B.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input! I've only found the on-line directions.

Maybe I will just use foil. But I wonder if they didn't saturate the cheesecloth with butter, or they didn't baste it enough...?

Maybe I'll do the cheesecloth first, and do the proper basting, and then use the foil towards the end of the cooking process.

@Snowpuppy  Yeah, I was thinking the same thing!!

Esteemed Contributor

I only line the cavity with cheesecloth for the stuffing.  It is so much easier to get it all out!

Contributor

I have used her method several times and the turkey came out perfect each time.  You do need to baste as often as she advises-I believe it's every 20 minutes,  Also, it should go without saying but the cheescloth needs to be the unbleached cotton kind available in grocery stores and not the white polyester kind found in fabric stores.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

My mom always used one of my dad's old, worn out white dress shirts (sleeves and buttons removed).  She'd butter the turkey really well and cover it with the shirt. The skin was beautifully browned, glossy and crisp, while the meat remained tender and juicy.  I've used cheesecloth for years for a similar result. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I only line the cavity with cheesecloth for the stuffing.  It is so much easier to get it all out!

What a great idea!  I'm going to do that this year. Thanks, @LindaSal 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

If you want untra moist and tender even when cold, I use a baking bag and turn the heat to 325, NOT 350.

The time table for stuffed and unstuffed is in the box.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG I am all set to try your turkey cooking method. I have my cooking bag and spices. You didn't mention salt. I suppose that is a given and added along with the marjoram, celery  seed, and poultry seasoning. Hope mine turns out as good as yours.