Valued Contributor

Somehow in the past year, I have ended up with two gravy boats.  One with an attached base and one that has a separate tray.  While I understand the utility of the attached base, they just seem unwieldy to me and I think I prefer the two separate pieces (usually with a small ladle alongside).  Which one do you prefer? 

I have been gathering serving dishes for the big feast tomorrow and am taking a break...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Random survey - gravy boats

I agree with the separated one. Your right the attached base one could be an accident waiting to happen. Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍽🍁 

Honored Contributor

For use on the table, I would use the one that is not attached.   I make it even easier by leaving the gravy, and food, in the pot!

Esteemed Contributor

i have one that keeps the gravy warm.....

Honored Contributor

I am a huge fan of the ones with the attached base.  It won't tip over, it catches drips and washes in one fell swoop in the dish washer.  And you never have to look for the other piece. 

Mine are used more for salad dressing and bbq sauce than gravy.  I have several of them.

Honored Contributor

I have 4 different sizes of  gravy boats. Only one has an attached base.  I like the detached base ones better.  I also prefer to use a ladle and not pour the gravy out.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have 4 different sizes of  gravy boats. Only one has an attached base.  I like the detached base ones better.  I also prefer to use a ladle and not pour the gravy out.

@Carmie I put a ladle in the one with the base then people don't try to pour it out.  Usually.  There's always that one. . . Woman Embarassed

But it makes me nervous with people handing it around and it wobbling on the base unless it is attached.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   If my food is served from the dining table, I use more than one gravy boat.  There are at least two at the table.

If I am serving more than 4 or 5 people, I do buffet style.  We have too many food dishes and there is not enough room on the table.  I have an electric warmer for my gravy for the buffet table that holds three quarts, so My guests get there own food.  No passing the gravy.

Normally, I have almost 30 people seated at my many tables for the holidays.  This year there will only be six of us.  I won't know how to cook for so few people....It is difficult to cut down when I am not used to it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I have never been to a holiday gathering with more than maybe 12 or 14 people.  Ever.   So food is passed here.  When we have 12 for a party, there one of each dish at both ends of the table, but food is passed.  

If there are 12, I usually do a boned and butterflied leg of lamb or a simple boned and butterflied pork loin roast stuffed with something good!  So those are good to slice for serving.  

Respected Contributor

I serve gravy in my French press. It’s large and the gravy stays hot.