Trusted Contributor

We have a Phillips AirFryer.  I did see the Ming special last night, like that one better as it has a ceramic coating.  Ours is 'painted steel', not stainless.  The Ming fryer is PFOE (??) whatever acronyms free.  I'm sure ours is not PFOE.... free.

Having said that, I have used it for about 2 weeks and it crisps up all kinds of things nicely.  Sweet potatoe waffle fries, burgers, fish, appetiizers of all kinds, chicken wings.  We didn't really notice a different taste of any kind.  I'm planning on doing some roasted vegs. this weekend. Also going to try pizza with store-made fresh dough, hope it works. 

We have been very happy with the crisping aspect of the fryer.  The unit itself is very easy to clean, no sticking yet.  I put the bottom part that holds the basket in the sink, pour in some soap and add hot water.  Set the basket in it, all while we are eating.  When I'm ready to do dishes, I just swirl my dish rag around in both and done.

Honored Contributor

Most things with a nonstick coating I try to clean immediately.  Sometimes it just takes a wipe of a paper towel or damp sponge it you do it while it's still hot.  I don't have a small kitchen, but I only have a corner of work space, so I'm continually cleaning as I go, especially when I'm having to do a lot.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets, so we'll see.  

The way Ming Tsai was explaining it.  it's more concentrated convection than your convection oven, so does a better jog.  Sales kitch I'm sure.  

That Shark Rocket, was it the TSV the other day for around $100?  If so, I really was interested in it.  I have a big Dyson, but I really don't like it for bare floors, blows things like cat hair around.  I need somthing that will do a good job on my kitchen floors before I use my Haan steam cleaner since those things won't pick up anything.

BTW, I'm trying to start a FB group for discussing anything home shopping related from any of the channels.  It's called Everythng Home Shopping.  Currently, only my friends are members and they really aren't interested.  Hope a little promo is allowed.

@Icegoddess  I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets too. Thank goodness I got ahold of myself and quickly changed the channel, lol. I recently moved and swore I wasn't falling for every gadget that comes along amymore. I was really tempted on this one. 

Respected Contributor

@3suwm5 I have just received my Phillips airfryer yesterday and wanted to ask you something.  When I was at Williams Sonoma, the sales lady told me that I never need to spray any oil on any food, but I may want to put about 1/4 tsp of oil in the bottom pan.  Does that make sense to you?

Also, in the manual I received it states to never put any water in the fryer.  Have you ever tried to put water in?

Contributor

He's not being specific. If Ming is referring to one of the lower end, small, convection ovens he may be right; I have no idea. However, it sounds like just sales patter. However, if you have one of the large, top-of-the-line convection ovens from Breville or Cuisinart that go for about $250, no way! I have one of the former (you can't go wrong with either IMHO) and they are truly an oven replacement and can do true broiling of a steak for instance. Using the convection process, foods actually cook faster than in my regular big oven. My best kitchen appliance purchase!

Honored Contributor

@AlexisRose, I have a Bravetti countertop convection oven, but it was bought many years ago shortly after they first started selling them on the shopping channels.  I don't know how it compares to the newer models or a true convection oven.  I like it for a lot of things, but I have been underwhelmed with it's ability to cook a frozen pizza.  I just do those in my regular (80's model non-convection) oven. 

Trusted Contributor

@CLEM

I have not put water in the unit when I'm cooking with it, just to clean the basket and the bottom pan.  I think the water may create black smoke while cooking.

I've never tried any oil on my foods or in the pan.  I'm not sure why you'd want it in the bottom pan; maybe to keep the foods from drying out or make the food even more crispy??  I've read that fresh potatoes could be mixed with a bit of oil in a bowl and then dumped into the basket to fry.

Hope this helps you.

New Contributor

sorry do not know how to post a new post

I would love to know if anyone used the new air fryer cookbook converting her recipes to gluten free especially flour conversion for her desserts. I have her address and will write to her too.  If so can you post substitutions and amounts.

thanks

Valued Contributor

Great tips from Meredith... 

http://www.meredithlaurence.com/air-frying-101/general-tips-for-air-frying/

Here are some that I thought is a shoud know...

Use toothpicks to hold foods down. Every once in a while, the fan from the air fryer will pick up light foods and blow them around. So, secure foods (like the top slice of bread on a sandwich) with toothpicks.

Add water to the air fryer drawer when cooking fatty foods. Adding water to the drawer underneath the basket helps prevent grease from getting too hot and smoking. Do this when cooking bacon, sausage, even burgers if they are particularly fatty

Use the proper breading technique. Use the FEB method... Flour, Egg, Bread Crumbs.  Breading is an important step in many air fryer recipes. Don’t skip a step! It is important to coat foods with flour first, then egg and then the breadcrumbs. Be diligent about the breadcrumbs and press them onto the food with your hands. Because the air fryer has a powerful fan as part of its mechanism, breading can sometimes blow off the food. Pressing those crumbs on firmly will help the breading adhere.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you