Honored Contributor

I have fallen prey for the new Ming Tsai air fryer TSV on the other channel.  My husband has been lusting after the Williams Sonoma one for quite some time, but I held off.  I remember having oven tater tots as a kid and thought they were awful.  I know the air fryer will make them crispy, but I am curious about the actual taste as I remember the taste of the tots in the oven being completely different than when they are deep fried.

However, my main question is about whether you can use freshly soaked and breaded products in these gadgets.  Like, I love fried okra.  I soak it in buttermilk and then coat with seasoned flour and cornmeal and deep fry.  Would this work in the air fryer?  If not, could I freeze the coated okra and then use the air fryer?  That way it would be pretty much like the frozen products you buy at the grocery store I'm thinking.

Honored Contributor

Yep, you would have to freeze it first or the coating would fall off.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

I've seen a gazillion demos and they often do battered foods that you would ordinarily deep fry.

Just keep in mind that these air fryers are simply compact convection ovens...

Honored Contributor

Thanks. Yes, I know it's just a mini convection oven.  I have a countertop convection oven which is one reason I have held off on something like this.  I have one of those silicone mats that holds food up to allow circulation underneath.  Works great for bacon.

Also, if I have to freeze my battered and coated items first, that's ok.  In the past I found the secret to freezing breaded okra was to put it on a baking sheet in a single layer in the freezer and they did just great.  That actually might make them more convenient.  Just pop them in the air fryer.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess

You don't have to freeze them first unless you want to.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Icegoddess

You don't have to freeze them first unless you want to.

Oh wow @Andreatoo please help me understand, are you saying you can put say a tempura batter dipped piece of fish into the air fryer and it will work?  That would be great to know as I would love to try it . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

According everything I read you can use a batter on foods that are rolled in flour, then egg, and then seasoning. It is in Meredith's book I read this and she it was important to do so. The flour adheres the batter so it is not runny. It makes sense as if it ran off the food you would be left with no coating. It could run off and burn in the pan underneath also. Just what I read.

Trusted Contributor

I watched the other channel's presentation at midnight. Looked at other air fryers online and decided to get the special (see above!). The main reason I opted for this one was because of the clean-up: that one can put both the drawer and the "fryer" tray in the DISWASHER! NOW, I hope this little gadget (mini-convection oven) lasts at least the year* as per warranty -- *AND THEN SOME!

ALSO hope the TEMPERATURE GAUGE is correct. The LORENA ELECTRIC SKILLET from last year on the other channel was A WASTE: the temp. was supposed to be adjustable but even the lowest setting was TOO HOT. That electric skillet is now in the give-away box.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

According everything I read you can use a batter on foods that are rolled in flour, then egg, and then seasoning. It is in Meredith's book I read this and she it was important to do so. The flour adheres the batter so it is not runny. It makes sense as if it ran off the food you would be left with no coating. It could run off and burn in the pan underneath also. Just what I read.

Oh thanks for this @MKR14, I really appreciate it.  Something else to think about in terms of new recipes . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Air Fryer Question

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking you may have duplicated "gadgets", @Icegoddess .  The air fryers are, in fact, just smaller, more compact, convection ovens.   I have one (and that's all @momtochloe's fault BTWWoman LOLHeart) and love it, but I don't have a convection oven.  Actually, what you currently have may be a better fit for you as it will accommodate more food than the smaller air fryers.  Most of the time you'll be "air frying" at temps between 350-400 degrees to achieve the "crunch" on foods, but your convection oven should easily duplicate any air fryer recipes IMO.

As far as the application you mention for the air fryer, I've done fresh, battered fish in mine...unfrozen without a problem.  The only thing that can occur (as it would with anything aside from deep fat frying) is sticking so spraying with a "pam-like" product is necessary.  HTH's Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?