Honored Contributor

I have an Aldi's ( 3 of them ) near me, but I don't go there often.  They sell the potato chips ( UTZ) we like for $1.99 a bag....a great price and I love their imported chocolate Easter candy.

I don't buy any of their  bread products....I just end up throwing them out...no one here likes them.

I try to stick to name brands, not store brands.  They are never busy, so if I just need a thing or two, and I am driving by, I'll stop in.

We are getting a Trader Joe's.  I can't wait to try that store for the first time.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Good Find At Aldis

[ Edited ]

Years ago, right or wrong, there was a stigma associated with shopping at Aldi.  Personally speaking, I love the store.  There are several in the region that I can pick from.  They all have many excellent product and many keto friendly options for me.  I'm especially pleased to find grass fed meats for very good prices, and the produce is always fresh. I'm headed there tomorrow for a few things. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

Don't get too excited about getting a Trader Joe's in your area.

I've been to the one near my former Virginia home  just outside of DC and the one here in Georgia.

Not  too impressed.  Produce often looks awful.   Only a little rewarding if you shop their frozen foods.  Sometimes they have something that stands out and worth a try.

I'd love for some Trader Joe fan  to tell what they consistently like there, so I might change my opinion.

Some people also love The Fresh Market. The  store where I lived before was awful--went once and never again.  Fresh Market here went out of business a few years ago and replaced with a Lidl.

We have a Sprouts store here.  Went once soon after moving here, bought three items, and got overcharged for two.  I had seen their weekly ad of sale items and was overcharged by the cashier who didn't seem to care about advertised prices. 

I got my money back.  Haven't been back to that store since.  Wasn't impressed with enough items there to shop again when we have too many other choices here.

Many stores are within easy distance--two Costco, two Aldi, Whole Foods,  many Publix and Kroger stores (seems to be one within every a mile or two), two Walmarts.

I'd love to see Wegman's here, too, but they haven't made it this far down South.

Esteemed Contributor

Aldi's just started to build stores in Arizona and so far none are near me. Supposedly there will be one closer sometime later this year. I have 3 Walmarts, Costco, Trader Joe's, Kroger, Safeway, Bashas, Sams Club, Sprouts all within 5 miles of me. No Publix or Wegmens. No idea what those are like.

Respected Contributor

I live in an area that has a good selection of large grocery stores, which includes Wegmans (my daughter works there)  as well as Trader Joes, Aldi's, Lidl and a new Amazon Fresh that will open next month.   Costco and BJs are only a short distance away as well.

Having said that, I find myself going to Aldi's for a good bulk of my weekly grocery shopping.  I've been pleased with Aldi's produce and most of their other meat, frozen foods and grocery items.   I have saved quite a bit of money each week by shopping there and that adds up very quickly with the cost of food these days.  The items they don't have or I prefer, I'll pick up at Wegmans or another grocery store.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ciao_bella 

Aldi has gradually become a bigger part of my grocery shopping, too. Stores have been greatly improved over time.

It's a great place to save a lot of  money on milk, eggs,  and dairy products such as sour cream,  butter, plus good cheeses.

Also, canned goods (especially things used in Mexican/Southwestern dishes), frozen vegetables, all types of chips and crackers,  and fresh  celery, carrots, lettuce, grapes, peppers and other produce. 

Their "Everything Bagels" and brioche rolls are the only bread choices I've liked, however.

Trusted Contributor

@spiderw   Aldi has the best chicken salad in both the large and individual containers, delicious!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00  While we were wondering around Aldis yesterday DD said, "Mom, they have chicken with walnuts & cranberries."

We both love chicken salad and I almost told her to grab one but didn't.  Nuts, now I wish I had.

Next time it will be 1st on my list.

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@spiderw   Aldi has the best chicken salad in both the large and individual containers, delicious!!!!

It has ingredients that I personally don't eat, but my sister loves it  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I stumbled across some videos about comparing Aldi products with name brand products on You Tube a few weeks ago.  Search for Vivian tries Aldi and there are several videos with actual demonstrations and how each item compares to Aldi in house products.

I shop at my local Aldi's every weekend, and there are some terrific items and significantly lower prices over my local Vons or Walmart grocery stores.  

For example, yesterday I purchased some of their in house wheat thins for .99 a box, a fresh pineapple for .99, bananas for .59 lb, large bag of pretzels for 1.97, gallon of milk for 3.09, and 1/2 gallon of almond milk for 1.99, container of strawberries for 2.39, bag of Fuji apples for 2.98, plus a small block of adiago italian cheese for 3.85...  (I have the receipt on my desk)

Love Aldi's!

......You look like I need a drink.....