Esteemed Contributor

DD has gone to Aldis many times. Today was the 1st time for me.

I had 6 things to grab, basics, milk, 1/2n1/2, eggs etc. I, however, was oh, grab that, oh, look, let's try this.

In the frozen section they had a bag of linguine and seafood, shrimp, calamari and mussels. $3.69 I think. I figured for that, let's give a whirl. The company is Priano.

It was pretty good. There was plenty for both DD and I along with a salad. Now, was it loaded with seafood, no, but I wasn't expecting it to be. The sauce was good and for the money it I was pleasantly surprised.

Honored Contributor

Considering you live in the sticks, you certainly have access to some nice grocery stores.  We have Walmart, a local chain called Smith's owned by Kroger and Albertson's.  I'm not crazy about any of them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624   The closest grocery store of any kind as well as a CVS is a 20/21 miles round trip. A Wegmans is 20 miles one way. Not great with the price of gas.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'd be elated to drive 20 miles to shop at a Wegman's

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My Aldi's had gelato for the first time in months. It is the best! They had three flavors and I bought them all...delicious combos with chocolate, vanilla, and pistachio.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I'd be elated to drive 20 miles to shop at a Wegman's

@Kachina624 , My little area has nothing but Walmart and Tops , but I'm surrounded by 4 Wegmans if I want to travel a bit. It is a great store.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I love Aldi's. I always find the best stuff there. The only item I didn't like was their pickles. Not crunchy enough. And their hamburger and hot dog buns. Everything else I have been more than happy with. Their prices can't be beat.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Re: . S: A Good Find At Aldis

Besides the Publix's & Kroger's, we have and Aldi's and Sprouts.  I have never shopped in the Aldi's.  When they first opened they were cash only, and I have a card for groceries.  I go into Sprouts every once in awhie.  There more of a natural foods store, I guess a Whole Foods wannabe.  We do have a Whole Foods in the neighboring city, but I never get to that part of town except when I go to the hairdresser.  I'm not a huge natural foods shopper anyways.  I had to last go to Sprouts because Kroger doesn't seem to carry flax seed anymore and I prefer the brown seeds over the golden ones Publix carries.  How's that for picky, but I swear I can tell a difference. 

We recently got a Trader Joe's in the neighboring city.  It's closer, about a 15 minute drive.  I've been dying to go.  Back before Chirstmas the freezer was packed to the gills and I told my husband to quit buying stuff at Costco because I needed room for a Trader Joe's trip. After Christmas  I defrosted it on a really cold night and threw a few things out, so now there's some room, but I just haven't made it yet.  I'm always trying to bundle my trips to save on gas.  It certainly wouldn't be a place I would go for weekly shopping.

Honored Contributor

I live in an area where we have a selection of supermarkets.  Aldi's has great chicken salad with walnuts and cranberries and it is very good.  It comes in a container.  I also have had their German dark chocolate, very tasty!  I like to go every so often to see if anything new is available , yes, their ice cream is another good buy.

Contributor

Aldi's has upgraded their products enormously in the last 15 years. They are constantly doing so, and their prices rival every other grocery store in the suburbs of Chicago where I live and shop.