Super Contributor

Question about Divorce and Wedding Rings

I love my oval halo engagement ring and was thinking about repacing the center stone with a pink stone, but then wondered if I would really wear it.   I also have two diamond bands.  I really like the rings but maybe they just need to go away?  What would/did you do with your wedding set?  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about Divorce and Wedding Rings

@autumnnj wrote:

I love my oval halo engagement ring and was thinking about repacing the center stone with a pink stone, but then wondered if I would really wear it.   I also have two diamond bands.  I really like the rings but maybe they just need to go away?  What would/did you do with your wedding set?  Thanks!

Hi @autumnnj .. I had a pendant made out of the diamonds from my engagement ring and wedding band.  

Honored Contributor

Mine was a 5 stone band ring, I still sometimes wear it, as is or stacked, on my right hand.

There are many options, with the price of gold, you could trade it in and upgrade to something more appropriate for you.    I'm saving mine for our daughter.

@autumnnj

Honored Contributor

I sold mine, did not want any bad vibes from that time in my life.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'm not divorced, but my mom took the diamonds in her wedding ring when she divorced my father and had them used for earrings for me. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@autumnnjWould you wear it as a right-hand ring? I'd probably try that a few times just as it is before I'd have a different stone set in.

I'd probably find I could wear it as is.  As for those bands -  I'd also wear those on my right hand -  could you use them to stack with a band of colored stones between?

But this advice comes from a wearer who bought a diamond band to wear on her right hand years after she divorced.  It's still one of my favorite pieces of jewelry!  Of course, mine has no connection to my ex, no bad memories attached. 

Honored Contributor

I had the diamonds removed and set into a cocktail style ring from my first marriage.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked into selling my rings. Jeweler suggested to hold on to them unless and until I needed to sell them. My wedding band is a beautiful 18k/ invisible set princess cut diamond ring. I wear it from time to time on my right hand. Matching setting for my solitaire. I do not wear that ring as the solitaire mountng needs to be repaired and I do not feel like spending the $ on it.

If you like the setting on your engagement ring I like the idea of replacing the center store with the gemstone of your choice.

Sadly, marriage is not always forever, but good, beautiful jewelry should be! 

Honored Contributor

took the diamonds out and sold the gold to the jeweler......who gave me an in store credit. i then bought something i really wanted.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I love my wedding set, but it does scream "wedding set!!!".  If I were to divorce (Smiley Sad), I'd get the whole thing reworked into some other ring.  I'd hate to waste those diamonds and gold!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York