Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Divorce and Wedding Rings

I would definitely keep them, diamonds are a girls best friend. My friend is getting a divorce and her engagement ring is beautiful. I always tell her to make sure that she get that. Even if not so great memories are attached you may change your mind down the road and regret getting rid of them. 

Trusted Contributor

I had my diamonds set in a beautiful gold filigree ring in a halo pattern.  I wear the ring on my first finger.   

Occasional Contributor

I had the stones from my 5-stone ban set into a ring along with her birthstone for my daughter.  I sold my engagement ring and took a trip to Europe, it was wonderful!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@autumnnj wrote:

I love my oval halo engagement ring and was thinking about repacing the center stone with a pink stone, but then wondered if I would really wear it.   I also have two diamond bands.  I really like the rings but maybe they just need to go away?  What would/did you do with your wedding set?  Thanks!

@autumnnj

I used my diamond solitaire ring as a trade in to purchase a good set of diamond stud earrings, which can be worn every day, if I like.    I'm glad I did that, because I didn't think I'd ever love wearing the engagement ring again ... even on my right hand.   Getting rid of the ring & getting the earrings gave me a sense of starting a new phase of my life.   

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, every one for your replies.  I love my ring and didn't want to put it in a drawer,  I tried wearing it on my right hand and stacking it with other rings, but that didn't work for me.  I did nothing for 6 months.  Then, I took it to a trusted jeweler and had the oval halo reset east-west, and dipped only the band in rose gold, leaving the halo white.  I just got it back, it's beautiful and unique, but doesn't look as obviously bridal as it did before.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@autumnnjwrote:

I love my oval halo engagement ring and was thinking about repacing the center stone with a pink stone, but then wondered if I would really wear it.   I also have two diamond bands.  I really like the rings but maybe they just need to go away?  What would/did you do with your wedding set?  Thanks!

@autumnnj  When the rings were given to you, they had a meaning and purpose that no longer exists. Taking the stones and creating something else beautiful that you will enjoy is a wonderful idea. 

I’m not divorced, but after 49 yrs. of marriage, I had my oval engagement ring, that had baguettes on each side, reset on to a small diamond band and a matching diamond wedding band. It didn’t cost that much because I had inherited a beautiful tennis bracelet I wasn’t wearing. There were enough stones to go around the engagement ring and make an eternity band. The platinum from my original settings were traded for the platinum used for the new rings. 

Honored Contributor

Mine is in the safe deposit box at the bank.  I have no desire to wear it.  It's not really suitable for restyling.  It's ok if it sits there.  One of our kids may want it someday.

Honored Contributor

I did not want to change the style of my engagement ring or my 10 year anniversary ring from the original design.  At first I considered making a specatular ring or necklace instead just had both re-sized for right hand rings.  I wear the anniversary ring a lot.  The other very rarely and have put aside to give to my son or granddaughter at some point in my life or theirs along with all other jewelry.  I have already given my son his Dad's diamond wedding band since my ex did not want it after I left him in 1999.  But my belief is never waste any diamond, always wear some how.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Have a new ring made that does not look like a wedding ring.  Or have a pendant or earrings made.  It does not really pay to sell it because you don't get much for jewelry.

Valued Contributor

I can' t wear rings on my right hand so I have to wear thelm on my left.  I really don't care about the meaning.  I wear all kinds of rings its just based on whether I like them.