Respected Contributor

Need suggestions for ''small hole'' on cross....?

I have a cross pendant, that is shiny, sort of blackish-gray, thick, 1 inch long and feels rather cold to the touch. I don't know what it is made of. It has a very small hole in the top to accommodate a chain but it would have to be really small...and I'm not sure that I could get the clasping ends through the hole, with it being so small. I want to wear this cross but have no idea of what to do about a chain. Any suggestions? Thank you

Super Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for ''small hole'' on cross....?

Could you put a bail on the little hole, and use the bail for a chain? Or maybe a jump ring? I'd check out the jewelry findings aisle at your local Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2014 ennui1 said:

Could you put a bail on the little hole, and use the bail for a chain? Or maybe a jump ring? I'd check out the jewelry findings aisle at your local Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

I agree, this is what I would do. Adding a jump ring or bail is very easy, even with limited experience. You can probably find some video tutorials online. It's easy and very affordable.

You could also take it to a jeweler, but if you don't even know what metal it's made of, you might be paying a lot more to add a bail than it would be worth. I really wouldn't advise going that route if you can avoid it.

Trusted Contributor

Take it to a jeweler. They don't charge to give you an estimate or to give you advice on what to do.

Super Contributor

On 3/25/2014 sarahpanda said:

I have a cross pendant, that is shiny, sort of blackish-gray, thick, 1 inch long and feels rather cold to the touch. I don't know what it is made of.

I'm going to suggest that it's hematite. If it is, be careful, because hematite can be brittle.

Another idea -- if you have a chain you want to use, remove the ring at the end, put the chain through, re-attach the finding, and just leave it on permanently. A jeweler could do that for you.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions friends ! All great ideas !! And to Ennui1: I appreciate the tip of the possibility of being hematite. I certainly would like to know what it is made of...I'll ask the jeweler. Thanks again !!

Respected Contributor

YES! It looks just like some hematite crosses that I looked up online. I just wish I knew how to paste the picture on this site.....I actually found this cross, which makes it even more meaningful to me. The 'folklore' that I read about it makes it even more special to me. Thanks for helping me determine what it is!

<h2 style="background-color: #444444; font-size: 18px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #ffffff;"> Hematite Folklore, Legend and Healing Properties:</h2>

In ancient times it was believed that large deposits of hematite formed on battlegrounds where soldiers were injured and lost blood from their battles.

The ancient Egyptians placed hematite objects inside their tombs.

Hematite is believed to be a healing and grounding stone, strengthening the body and lessening life's stresses.

It is thought to reduce stress and enhance one's personal magnetism. It is also thought to increase optimism and courage and helpful in transforming negativity.

Super Contributor

On 3/25/2014 sarahpanda said:

YES! It looks just like some hematite crosses that I looked up online. I just wish I knew how to paste the picture on this site.....I actually found this cross, which makes it even more meaningful to me. The 'folklore' that I read about it makes it even more special to me. Thanks for helping me determine what it is!

I hope you find a nice jeweler who will help you wear it. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

Be careful not to drop it. Hematite will shatter just like glass.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment