Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Statement Jewelry Aging?

I used to sell jewelry, and we all gravitate toward whatever, but I agree with a line from the book "Sparkles"  that many women love jewelry but few know how to wear it.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Super Contributor

Are you kidding?  How about Iris Apfel?

Anyway - I am a tall, powerful woman - dainty jewelry would look silly on me - I think everyone should wear what they like and what makes them feel best.

Trusted Contributor

Really?  Do we really care what other people tell us about what is fashionable at this stage of our lives?

I don't really have any statement pieces, but I do have a lot of jewelry that probably would look overstated shopping for groceries or standing in line at the dry cleaners; if I wanted to wear those pieces there, though, I probably would.  At 70 years of age, I feel that if my jewelry choices look inappropriate or aging to someone, they probably just shouldn't look.

Valued Contributor

It’s not that statement jewelry is intrinsically ageing, just that it’s not current. 

What this translates to is that if most of your general presentation isn’t up-to-date, then adding statement jewelry is going to multiply your dated look. 

However if your style is mostly current, preferably with a nod to fashionable trends, you can still pull off statement jewelry as your personal thing and it will look individual rather than dated.

Honored Contributor

I wear what I love-----don't wear the long dangling earrings--drives me insane . But I don't have costume jewelry at all------it's all genuine silver/gold/pearls and gemstones. Not huge pieces but nice ones. Now I have my moms things and they were mostly costume------but don't wear them. I like unique, artisan jewelry most of all, but have nice pearls in all colors and lengths that can go dressy or casual.  I am so tired of someone telling me what is out or what is in------not that I ever listen.........

Honored Contributor

I never did care for Statement Jewelry, but I don't have the lifestyle where I would buy the Linea line of clothing or jewelry. No, usually young women do not wear big jewelry, I know I didn't when I was young. At my age, I wear what I want and do not care who admires it or not, I'm older and do not consider that a negative.

Honored Contributor

Who is she you speak of?  

There are trends in jew elry just like there are in everything else.  Several years ago, everything was petite from earrings to necklaces to bracelets.  Then everything became huge and the more you piled on the better.

Right now the trend is back to smaller pieces.  Once everyone has bought a bunch of smaller jewelry to conform to the trend and it isn't selling as well anymore, the trend will go back to big, bold statement pieces to boost sales.  

Honored Contributor

Statment jewelry isn't aging.  Statement jewelry is a beautiful item to look at.

Honored Contributor

Interesting topic.  I could never wear dainty delicate pieces since they just look ridiculous on me...like trying to look like a young girl, however on the other hand huge statement pieces never felt comfortable.  I prefer a medium sized necklace that you can see but doesn't overwhelm and make a big statement.  Plus delicate pieces tend to be more difficult to close.

Regular Contributor

I'm a small. petite woman. I rarely buy a print in clothing so a strong necklace, bracelet, or earrings becomes my statement. I believe that to be a timeless, classic look.