Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Statement Jewelry Aging?

[ Edited ]

I have a byzantine that is 25 grams and it is very fashionable.  I wear it more than any other necklace I have.  I also wear the gold bib necklaces that dangle.  I also like to wear my 4 carat diamond pendant on my 2 carat diamonds (VS-FG) by the yard necklace.  I had my jeweler design and make the diamond pendant for me and he told me this was a first for him.  I had the loose diamonds ( S1-GH) and now I have one of a kind diamond pendant so why not wear it?  After all, no use keeping it in a safe sight unseen.   

Contributor

I agree with you 100% crawford123.  If you've collected beautiful jewelrty through the years, then wear it.  If people think that the big pieces are going out of style, it's probably because gold and stones have gone up so much that the young people can't afford to buy it.  I have a ton of jewelry and sometimes I like my big pieces, sometimes I like the smaller pieces and sometimes I even wear the two together.

Your collection sounds simply gorgeous.  You go for it girl and wear the heck out of it! 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf: Nowadays, there is no fashion. I think statement jewelry is not aging. I saw big necklaces and earrings and also minimalist jewelry. Same the clothing. I saw 80's and 70's fashion inspired dresses, pants, etc.and some clothes from the 90's; the decade when I was in my mid-teens and early 20s.

Wear whatever you like, I bet you look great. 

Valued Contributor

I think we've all lived long enough to see that fashion cycles quickly because retailers need to make money, and promoting new styles and trashing the old is a good way to do it. What's currently out of fashion will almost certainly be in fashion again in the coming years. 

I personally am waiting for my Nolan Miller necklaces to return to fashion. It should be only be about ten years according to my estimation. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

When I go shopping I see alot of statement pieces out in stores.  I wear what I like and not what is in style.  I have a few statement pieces and I get more compliments when I wear a statement piece than a smaller classic piece of jewelry. 

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf   I wore my statement jewelry when younger..late 30's thru early 50's.  Now 63, I like simple....just a earring, occasionally a necklace....never wear rings or bracelets. I think big bold jewelry  on an old saggy old woman looks BAD.  I have a ton of jewelry that today I never wear.  

I did have some really beautiful gold statement pieces I purchased in the 1990's when gold prices were really low...on Value Vision( now Evine) and they were AMAZING ITALIAN WORKS OF ART.  Sold them when gold prices peaked a few years back and made a small fortune!  

I quit wearing them....so no need to save them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm really not interested in what type of jewelry"younger women" wear. I have alot of jewelry,very little of it is "statement."  But I wear what I like.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I think jewelry is very personal.  Wear what you like.

My jewelry changes with my mood.  Sometimes I like honkin'; and sometimes I like minimal.  God knows I have enough options to choose from.

Respected Contributor

My statement piece is a gold (with small center diamond) bracelet dh got me which was made by the local goldsmith.  While it’s not as weighty as several pieces I have, I love it and always have. It’s one of a kind and bears the distinctive artsy style I’ve only seen by this particular goldsmith.

I’ll never tire of wearing it and I don’t really give a fig what trends are. Yeah, I’m THAT kinda gal! 😆

Honored Contributor

Part of my personal style is breaking fashion “rules”. Usually petite women would stay away from an armful of bangles or a several long necklaces mixed with pearls. That’s who I am.  Every woman decides for herself what she likes.