Regular Contributor

Re: Why are microfiber sheets so popular?

actually that is not true. The ones I buy are not cheap at all - in fact, a set with four pillowcases typically costs more than the cotton sheets. I buy them because I love them. They are light and airy, are not hot, don't wrinkle and just feel really really soft and good. I never ever put my cotton sheets on my bed anymore - they feel too "heavy" and rough.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

It all depends on what you want from sheets. If you want soft, comfortable, durable, inexpensive, easy to care for sheets then microfiber is for you. If you want sheets to make a statement of some sort, and you don't mind spending more, having to do more work, having to replace them more frequently, then choose one of the other options. As for me, I don't view sheets as a status symbol. I just sleep on them and microfiber is perfect for me. I'd pay double the price (maybe more) to replace my microfiber sheets. They're just the best all around sheets I've ever slept on.

Why the snotty remarks pointed at others who pay more for sheets that give them the kind of comfort they seek?  Nobody here said that they purchase cotton sheets to impress anybody.   To the contrary - everybody has stated that they buy the sheets they buy because they are more comfortable and durable for them.

It was absolutely unnecessary to insult a bunch of posters who happen to have a different opinion about, for crying out loud, freaking SHEETS.

Like others, if I tried sleeping on any type of polyester it would be a pretty bad night.  I totally get that others have a different experience.  Nothing wrong with EITHER choice.    Geez, that's why choice is always good.  

My remarks weren't meant to be snotty but we're simply in response to those who were making judgments on the sheets without ever using them. There are many who look down on microfiber sheets without ever trying them. In your post you state "if I tried sleeping on any type of polyester it would be a pretty bad night." The reality is that you don't know that unless or until you try them. You're judging something without ever trying it. I honestly thought they'd be less than ideal when I bought my first set but I was very pleasantly surprised. Many share your view that they can't be as good as what they're now using. The original question was "Why are microfiber sheets so popular?" In truth, the reason they've become so popular is because they're really, really good sheets. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Hi Gardenman!  Thanks for your remarks and I don't mind being called on mine.

I actually have tried using different types of sheets with polyester in the content and, for me, it's a no go.   I have to go with something that is extremely breathable.

I just felt like you were saying that anybody who spent more, or mentioned stuff like thread count, was trying to impress.  I can only speak for me, but I mentioned it because I find that a certain level of thread count works the best for me.  I just generate too much heat and really need that fast cooling.  I have to move my legs around many times during the night and I find that with a good, tight, cotton, it cools very quickly so I can move back to that area and have good coolness again.

Everything on my bed is cotton, from the sheets up to the bedspread and blankets.   I love my cotton!  Smiley Happy

But then, I also like to sleep in a COLD room too so it's a crazy world in chickenland.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh, and one more thing, Macy's does sell microfiber sheets in both solids and prints on their website. The solid color ones get an average of a four star review from 294 reviewers, while the prints also get an average review of four stars from 97 reviewers. They aren't only sold in cheap, low quality stores. They're just good sheets, at a good price, that are hard to beat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

LOVE microfiber sheets and i am one of those ladies who is HOT all the time. they are cool to the touch, easy to care for, easy to get on and off, wash beautifully with few wrinkles. i now buy ONLY microfiber sheets. most of the time i get them from hsn or from evine. i am slowly changing all of the beds sheets over to microfiber. for me they have a silky feel without all the slipperiness of silk. they are a good quality AND affordable. last week evine had a set of 4 sheet sets, 16 total pieces for $79 and i received them yesterday. they look good AND feel good. no going back for me......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have a few sets for our king size bed.  I thought I liked them but I am quickly changing my mind.  Maybe it's because of where I purchased them.  I will say I am 100% done with any bedding from any of the shopping channels.  IMO they are all garbage in a short matter of time.

My first set I bought from QVC and the elastic was shot on them within the first year.  The next set I bought from Evine as a top value and the flat sheet is so much longer than it is wide, I think they sewed the decorative edge along the wrong side.  In order for my sheet to fit properly, I have to have the decorative edge going down the side of the bed.

Next set was from Highgate Manor from HSN.  The fitting sheet is easily 2 shades darker than the top sheet.  And my most recent set was the Concierge Collection from HSN and again, the embossed pattern is off and missing in spots.

I have not found the sheets to be hot at all but I have found that every set, after only a few washings, ends up snagged.  Either the fitted sheet, the flat sheet or both ends up snagged in short order.   None of the fitted sheets properly fit my mattress and continually slide up. 

I am going back to my 800TC cotton sheets.  IMO they are much better quality.  In the winter I have the fleece sheets and I'm happy with those.  But no more microfiber for me. 

Honored Contributor

Because they are awesome!

I have several sets of microfiber sheets. They are sueded and soft on one side and crisp and cool on the other. They are easy to care for and don't wrinkle the way cotton does. Athletic wear known for wicking sweat away from the body is made out of microfiber and I find the sheets to be cool and comfortable.

I also have a set of 725 thread count supima cotton sateen sheets I bought years ago.The microfiber sheets are just as soft and feel just as nice, but cost a lot less and are easier to care for. I got an entire 4 piece set of the microfiber sheets for sale for $30. (They are now $40 not on sale.) I just found an updated version of the cotton sheets I have and the flat sheet alone is $50. The whole set in cotton is $209.