Honored Contributor

I just have to share..........

I got all new interior doors installed today!!!!!

We bought this house 21 years ago, and did a lot of work to it before moving in, with the intentions of doing some every year. Well, along comes kiddo, and 10 years of private school, some really critical house repairs (roof, totally new septic system, all new windows, all new outer doors, a beautiful garage door I waited 20 years to get, and so forth), and the ugly, (and that didn't even begin to describe them) interior doors were let go, again and again. 

The were cheap, flat, varnished very dark, and just a mess. Well, a few weeks ago, we were in Lowes, and out of nowhere, I sat down, and picked out new ones. 

They aren't expensive, but are molded with insets (kind of a six panel design) with wood grain look. The difference is night and day (even without being painted yet). I choose some elegant black handles with a really nice back plate attached, and I have a whole new look! They mirror the nice entry doors we had installed and the closet ones we replaced years ago. This gave the house a really streamlined look, with all the doors 'matching' so to speak.

I will be painting them (sort of white) in the next few weeks when I decide on a color. I would have loved to have lovely solid wood doors in a beautiful wood of some type, but honestly, this house just isn't worth that kind of expense. I was going for a 'look' and got it for about $200 per door, with all parts and labor included (minus the painting, which will be my pleasure to do).

I usually wouldn't go to Lowes to have something done, but we have been less than pleased with some of the high end contractors in this area, and I thought I really didn't have much to loose. The guys were so wonderful, worked so hard and quickly, that they were able to install all 9 doors in about 7 hours. I just can't say enough about how great they were, and I'm calling their supervisor tomorrow to let him know how pleased we are.

Just wanted to share with a bunch of friends who understand how exciting it is to get something like this that you have wanted for decades (literally). Some things are just worth the wait.

Now, a new kitchen would send me over the top!!

Honored Contributor

Re: I just have to share..........

@Mominohio, I'm happy just reading your post and your excitement just jumps off the page.  Congratulations on finally seeing a plan come to reality  So happy for you.

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

We bought this house 21 years ago, and did a lot of work to it before moving in, with the intentions of doing some every year. Well, along comes kiddo, and 10 years of private school, some really critical house repairs (roof, totally new septic system, all new windows, all new outer doors, a beautiful garage door I waited 20 years to get, and so forth), and the ugly, (and that didn't even begin to describe them) interior doors were let go, again and again. 

The were cheap, flat, varnished very dark, and just a mess. Well, a few weeks ago, we were in Lowes, and out of nowhere, I sat down, and picked out new ones. 

They aren't expensive, but are molded with insets (kind of a six panel design) with wood grain look. The difference is night and day (even without being painted yet). I choose some elegant black handles with a really nice back plate attached, and I have a whole new look! They mirror the nice entry doors we had installed and the closet ones we replaced years ago. This gave the house a really streamlined look, with all the doors 'matching' so to speak.

I will be painting them (sort of white) in the next few weeks when I decide on a color. I would have loved to have lovely solid wood doors in a beautiful wood of some type, but honestly, this house just isn't worth that kind of expense. I was going for a 'look' and got it for about $200 per door, with all parts and labor included (minus the painting, which will be my pleasure to do).

I usually wouldn't go to Lowes to have something done, but we have been less than pleased with some of the high end contractors in this area, and I thought I really didn't have much to loose. The guys were so wonderful, worked so hard and quickly, that they were able to install all 9 doors in about 7 hours. I just can't say enough about how great they were, and I'm calling their supervisor tomorrow to let him know how pleased we are.

Just wanted to share with a bunch of friends who understand how exciting it is to get something like this that you have wanted for decades (literally). Some things are just worth the wait.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. In 2010, after years of complaining how small our master bath (if you can call a stool and a 36" vanity a MASTER bath) was, I decided to draw up a plan and hire a good contractor friend of ours to gut the room and 2 adjoining closets to accomodate a soaking tub( I have OA) and L-shaped cabinets. I did all the measuring, planning, designing etc. without much help from my DH. He thought it was fine the way it was. Well, the room turned out FABULOUS. I went with cherry kitchen cabinets (taller the regular bath vanities) marble tops, a Kohler soaking tub,  all high end finishes but worth every cent. SO GUESS WHAT? After my DH saw how great MY bathroom turned out, he wanted me to plan/design the hall bath for him (he's a shower person). So it went from a tub/shower combo to a walk-in shower, again with cherry vanity and linen cabinet and some extra doo dads in the shower for him...like rainshower head and jets. This was done last year. Feels SO GOOD to get something like this done after many years of needing it. Now I'm looking at my kitchen and getting some ideas for it. At least now my DH see that things really do need to be updated and how much $$ this can add to the value of your home.

Honored Contributor

@country gal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. In 2010, after years of complaining how small our master bath (if you can call a stool and a 36" vanity a MASTER bath) was, I decided to draw up a plan and hire a good contractor friend of ours to gut the room and 2 adjoining closets to accomodate a soaking tub( I have OA) and L-shaped cabinets. I did all the measuring, planning, designing etc. without much help from my DH. He thought it was fine the way it was. Well, the room turned out FABULOUS. I went with cherry kitchen cabinets (taller the regular bath vanities) marble tops, a Kohler soaking tub,  all high end finishes but worth every cent. SO GUESS WHAT? After my DH saw how great MY bathroom turned out, he wanted me to plan/design the hall bath for him (he's a shower person). So it went from a tub/shower combo to a walk-in shower, again with cherry vanity and linen cabinet and some extra doo dads in the shower for him...like rainshower head and jets. This was done last year. Feels SO GOOD to get something like this done after many years of needing it. Now I'm looking at my kitchen and getting some ideas for it. At least now my DH see that things really do need to be updated and how much $$ this can add to the value of your home.

@country gal

Congrats on the new bathroom. I hear you about the tiny ones. We practically shower in a phone booth!

Such satisfaction to get something so wished for.

Honored Contributor

@country gal wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@country gal, you sound like a very talented designer and your bath sounds wonderful.

Honored Contributor

Our first home had all the wood trim actually was a material like contact paper that looked like wood and was over plastic. As soon as we could afford it we replaced all of it - new doors, window sills and frames and new baseboards. It made an amazing difference.

Congrats on your new doors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio Congratulations on your "spiff-up!"

we have lived to the same house for our entire marriage! I can honestly say that we looked at other houses, but each time we drive up to our place, it makes me happy!

Along came a child; high school friends; costs of college; a new roof; and we did some re-decorating along the way!

it sure sounds nice to have a beautification process going on! Enjoy! 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Oh I really get your excitement.  We have all smooth luaun finish interior doors in this old house.  I'd love to do the same thing that you just did.  It is nowhere near the top of our must-do list, so it will be way down the road.  

Enjoy them.  I know you will.  

Honored Contributor

Congrats on the new doors! My friends always say "your excited over a home improvement" .... 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻happy dance every time I update our home!

our next thing is these horrible flat hollow track housing doors to be replaced with 6 panel raised doors. I know what a difference it makes!

enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean!   I replaced my drapes with plantation shutters.......and I smile every time I walk in the front door.

♥Surface of the Sun♥