Respected Contributor

Re: Vinyl plank floor research

We're building a new house, it will be ready next month and the builder was only offering engineered hardwood at the time we made our selections in January.  They are now offering vinyl plank flooring.  I don't know if I would've choosen it or not but I definitely would've considered it.  My brother recently built a new home and got it and loves it.  

Respected Contributor

My own advice is don't let anyone tell you that these planks that lock together can be put over your old flooring. I am here to say that I think ours are coming apart is because those so called professional installers put ours over my other flooring that was one that always had a shine and never had to be waxed when it was cleaned. If I knew how to take pictures I would put them on here so that all could see what a mess we have here and how the planks are coming apart. 

Honored Contributor

@cater  When we wanted to pick up the carpet in our hallway and get  laminate put down the flooring company said they would come and pick up the carpet to see what the condition of the slab under it was. If there were any cracks etc. they had to be taken care of or the new floor would not go down properly, and would not last. As it turned out the slab was in perfect condition, they put down sheets of styrofoam as a moisture barrier then the laminate over that is a "floating floor", and looks beautiful, is quiet, & we are 100% pleased.

Good luck getting them to fix your floor.

Respected Contributor

151949  our entire mess is because the installers said they did not need to take up our existing flooring. Even though we paid for new underlayment  and possible plywood.They had the items on their truck but according to the flooring manufacturing company it could be put over existing flooring. We have this mess to content with not only kitchen but mudroom and powder room. They told us this was top of the line product they had installed it in commerical buildings with out any problems. Well here to say we have problems and the inspector who was here said the whole thing was not installed correctly. If I would put the company name on here you would definately know it they are all over this area. not going to do that as of right now since they seem to be going to fix this mess. But if they don't I will tell you the name.

Contributor

I just put in Aquaguard, a wood laminate from Floor and Decor.  It looks like wood and can be cleaned with a damp mop and  spills are susposed to be waterproof for 30 hours.  I guess this is true, because we had a drink spill and I did not find it until the next day, and it wiped up fine with no damage.  This was installed in the whole house over a concrete foundation with the underlayment recommended.  It does not squeak or move.  We had it professionally installed.  Happy with the color and purchase.