Honored Contributor

Used to have the 3 piece set with end tables and a coffee table.  Sold them and got 2 end tables and no coffee table. Do most have one or not necessary?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee Table, Yes or No?

We now have a small coffee table with just one wedge shaped table between two recliners. Our living room is small.

Respected Contributor

Have always had one. Our very first was made by a couple of DH's students when we were first married and had almost no furniture. This is our family room. I guess not everyone needs or wants one, but I find it handy.

familyRoom.JPG

Honored Contributor

I like them, what are you going to put your feet on when sitting on the couch?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

I no longer have one in my living room and don't miss it at all (more room for the dogs to lounge around).  It's been about 10 years since I got rid of it.  I do still have one in my family room, which is much larger.  It just looks "right" having one there.  

Respected Contributor

I have a coffee table in my living room and family room, but no end tables. 

Honored Contributor

No, I do not have a coffee table because my golden retriever's tail would sweep everything off of it and eat any kind of food on it if she could.

Honored Contributor

I have a matching sofa and recliner in my living room, matching end tables plus a coffee table that is rectangular in shape but the sides can come up to make it oval. When we have company we make the table bigger and set out appetizers and put out coasters for people to sit their drinks on it. Since our new sofa also is a recliner at both ends the coffee table has to be a bit further out from the sofa than usual, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it.The coffee table is the same red oak as the end tables but otherwise it's not an exact match to them, as we had it several years before we bought the end tables.Our end tables were totally an impulse buy, I saw them in a department store as I was walking by and was powerless to resist them,they were so pretty. You don't often see red oak furniture. We've had them about 30 years now, and I still love them.

Regular Contributor

Have replaced the coffee table with an ottoman.  Much softer look.  Use trays on top when needed for drinks or stuff.

Honored Contributor

It depends on you space, you needs, and how your room "works."  Completely personal decision.