Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vinyl plank floor research

What I like about the one we chose is they are not shiny. So they will never start to look old when the shine might start  to wear off. We just use a damp mop l. My mom used something like a spin mop. No chemicals.

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday

Thank you for the great recommendation.

Love your puppy dog!!!!!

Contributor

I have used “Metro flor” “engage” with excellent results. Great stuff, easy care, easy on the eat, looks beautiful.

Valued Contributor

We just began to move into a new downsizing condo.  I haven't begun living there yet, so I don't know about the care of LPV yet.  The builder's cleaning people left it spotlessly clean, and we really love it so far.

My current home has real wood floors, even in the kitchen.  It looks nice after 16 years, but I look forward to the softness and easy care of the vinyl.

I haven't brought my Oriental rugs over yet, but I think they will look great.

Actually, if my Roombas ( Alice, Carson, & Doggie ) are happy, I'll be happy!!

Respected Contributor

What ever you decide to purchase PLEASE make sure that the people install know what they are doing. We bought from a flooring store that said what we bought was top of the line. Long miserable story after a month the floor started to come apart. It is four years this October that we have been fighting and pleading with them to do some thing about this mess. No one wants to take the blame for this mess. A inspector was sent here and he said the floor was not put in correctly to begin with. the installers say they put it in according to directions on the cases of the planks. Ours are the type that lock together well after one month the floor started coming apart and moving. Next floor that is put in here will be glued down no more type that lock together. Good luck to you I am ready to rip this up myself but have to wait to see what they all decide to do. In the mean time over $8000 is flying around out there and we have this mess.

Esteemed Contributor

That brand has a lot to choose from. They have like 4 different collections with many designs within each. We went with the HD because we thought it looked the most like Hardwood.

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@ccassaday

Thank you for the great recommendation.

Love your puppy dog!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday  Your comments about the thin layer of cork are probably very accurate. I have a friend in KC who had cork floors installed in their kitchen and laundry rooms. They have been treated with a non-glossy finish and are absolutely gorgeous, WARM, durable, moisture resistant, easy to clean and don't show any marks or stains! (Think school floors with marble staircases.)

She's an interior decorator and thinks my home is perfect for cork, too. I'm ready for changes and am seriously considering cork for the laundry room and a library which is currently carpeted (but need something warmer than hardwood, yet just as attractive) for my cold, diabetic feet. Both rooms are on the day-light lower level and do not have a full basement underneath that area of the house . . . just a crawl space. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

We put  Shaw brand luxury vinyl plank floor in our kitchen and dining room last summer - we love it.  It's waterproof which was why we bought it.  We had a drain problem that leaked under the previous floor - Pergo - it buckled.  Anyway I love the floor so much I'm thinking of extending it into the living room.  Color is Resort Teak.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We are looking to buy a home that due to subfloor we can not do traditional hardwood, which we have always used and love.

I need to due so extensive research on vinyl plank flooring options.

@Abrowneyegirl, another option: redo the subfloor so you can install the hardwood flooring that you want. You may not be satisfied with vinyl flooring and it may always bug you that you settled for something you really don't like.

Esteemed Contributor

We purchased an older home and re did most of our floors with WilsonArt wood planks. They are great! I understand that they no longer supply residential just commercial customers. Pergo was my second choice. i had checked the big box stores, independt flooring stores and some of the larger furniture stores. Check the materials used to make the plankes and the guarantees. Consider what kind of wear your floors are going to have and your budget.Hope this helps you.