Respected Contributor

Re: Vinyl plank floor research

@nomless wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We are looking to buy a home that due to subfloor we can not do traditional hardwood, which we have always used and love.

I need to due so extensive research on vinyl plank flooring options.

@Abrowneyegirl, another option: redo the subfloor so you can install the hardwood flooring that you want. You may not be satisfied with vinyl flooring and it may always bug you that you settled for something you really don't like.

6 months ago I never would have considered vinyl planks, until I saw it in several homes and I really like it.  I prefer it over laminate and engineered HW.  I also found I love cork!

To redo the sub-floors and put the HW to re-create my current favorite HW it would start at $44,000 which I know in real world is $50,000 +

This is a not a forever home, just temp. for a few years so I have no interest in that level of an reno as it seems every little thing is $$$$$.

Trusted Contributor

I put Mannington Adura Max in my kitchen, dining room, and hallway. I love it, and I know it's quality because I have a family member in the business. I usually sweep or vacuum, and use https://www.qvc.com/Don-Asletts-Microfiber-Mop-with-(5)-Reuseable-Microfiber-Pads.product.V35428.htm... for whatever they won't pick up.

Occasional Contributor

I put Coretec in a new construction 2years ago as well. LOVE it!  We have over 2300 sq. feet of it through out and I couldn’t be happier. My husband is a contractor, and we researched several brands , manufacturers and settled with this. I have a very active family, a 75 lb. puppy that skids across it, grandkids, and yes my husband coming home from work! It has been amazing. I had real hardwood in my last home, and was always worried. 

I have 2 roombas that assist me with my daily upkeep! Recommended it to my daughter in her new home construction as well! 

Honored Contributor

I would think any problems with the subfloor that would show up on hardwood would also show on vinyl plank. It is , after all, just a soft plastic that will eventually take on the shape of what is under it. You don't say what is the matter with the subfloor but probably you'll be happier in the end if you just repair it first.

That said - we had vinyl floors that looked like wood in our camper and were very happy with them. Very easy care.  In our home in Pa we had vinyl that looked like stone in our kitchen and they were very pretty and yet so easy to care for.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Coretec needs no subfloor. Most of ours is on the basement  ceiling and the other 1/4 is on the cement slab. They did smooth down the part over the basement before it was put down.

Mathis is not like the rolled vinyl at all. The coretec brand even says in website no subfloor needed.

• @151949 wrote:

I would think any problems with the subfloor that would show up on hardwood would also show on vinyl plank. It is , after all, just a soft plastic that will eventually take on the shape of what is under it. You don't say what is the matter with the subfloor but probably you'll be happier in the end if you just repair it first.

That said - we had vinyl floors that looked like wood in our camper and were very happy with them. Very easy care.  In our home in Pa we had vinyl that looked like stone in our kitchen and they were very pretty and yet so easy to care for.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss wrote:
My aunt and uncle did a wide vinyl plank flooring. It was the best thing since they have dogs and teenage grandchildren. It would have been super nice to have it when the grandkids were babies. They steam clean them without worry. I've not found a laminate that doesn't feel like laminate and have a hollow/plastic sound when walking on it barefoot or in shoes. It kind of creaks. The good news is no one can sneak up on you. The vinyl is super durable and quiet. My sister has laminate with kids and loves it. She does steam clean hers. Some manufacturers don't recommend anything but dry mop and spot clean with damp rag/mop. I would love the vinyl plank in my home. I'm not huge on resale potential value decrease since vinyl does look super great, but it isn't as valued as wood. It suprises people that it is vinyl and doens't have the upkeep that laminate and wood has. I would see what flooring companies have in your area and get the best warranty/product you can buy.

I disagree with you about laminate. I think perhaps your creaky floor was not properly installed.We put laminate in the hallway from our garage into the living room. It gets walked on more than any other floor in our house, we've had it about 5 years now, does not make any noise, looks exactly like a hardwood floor.We couldn't be happier with it. Cleans simply with dry dusting daily, and cleaning with bona weekly.

I admit I've seen cheap laminate floors at the big box stores that just scream out I AM MADE OF PLASTIC.However, those are not the only laminate out there. If you go to a good flooring store you can see much much better choices.

Esteemed Contributor

When our house was being built my dad went over and put screws in before the floors were put down. We don’t have creeky floors. It seems to have solved the problem.

Regular Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

We put  Shaw brand luxury vinyl plank floor in our kitchen and dining room last summer - we love it.  It's waterproof which was why we bought it.  We had a drain problem that leaked under the previous floor - Pergo - it buckled.  Anyway I love the floor so much I'm thinking of extending it into the living room.  Color is Resort Teak.

We have the exact same floor in our downstairs bathroom, it is amazing!

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Tigriss wrote:
My aunt and uncle did a wide vinyl plank flooring. It was the best thing since they have dogs and teenage grandchildren. It would have been super nice to have it when the grandkids were babies. They steam clean them without worry. I've not found a laminate that doesn't feel like laminate and have a hollow/plastic sound when walking on it barefoot or in shoes. It kind of creaks. The good news is no one can sneak up on you. The vinyl is super durable and quiet. My sister has laminate with kids and loves it. She does steam clean hers. Some manufacturers don't recommend anything but dry mop and spot clean with damp rag/mop. I would love the vinyl plank in my home. I'm not huge on resale potential value decrease since vinyl does look super great, but it isn't as valued as wood. It suprises people that it is vinyl and doens't have the upkeep that laminate and wood has. I would see what flooring companies have in your area and get the best warranty/product you can buy.

I disagree with you about laminate. I think perhaps your creaky floor was not properly installed.We put laminate in the hallway from our garage into the living room. It gets walked on more than any other floor in our house, we've had it about 5 years now, does not make any noise, looks exactly like a hardwood floor.We couldn't be happier with it. Cleans simply with dry dusting daily, and cleaning with bona weekly.

I admit I've seen cheap laminate floors at the big box stores that just scream out I AM MADE OF PLASTIC.However, those are not the only laminate out there. If you go to a good flooring store you can see much much better choices.

It isn't the floors creaking/squeaking as much as the sound of the foot/shoe on the laminate.  Some do creak like one of my friends.  Her parents put it in and go low budget the cheapest product and cheapest install they can find.  It SHOWS.  My sister's floors are the sound of contact with the foot/shoe versus creaking but it is just similar.  I just know that for napping babies/kids you are very aware of each footfall.  It is good because we can hear the kids when they wake at night and make their way into the master so you are expecting them.  I also apply that to others walking around like guests and future times when the kids are teenagers.  I'm just funny about house sounds that are out of place like the subtle hu of appliances you are used to until the power goes and then the loud silence that follows.  You don't realize they are all humming until then.

I'm weird about sounds and light at night when all is supposed to be quiet and dark.  I drape dark towels over alarm clocks and put electrical tape over things with little lights you can't turn off.  I stayed in a hotel at a conference that had a bright red light coming out of the box on the back of the tv.  I didn't have my tape so I draped my pants over it.  Then I almost forgot my pants.  I bring clothespins to pin the curtains shut since they don't really black out the ambient light.  I also tape the door crack and put towels down on the bottom to block that light.  I also hear the neighbors' tv, shower, toilet even at 5-star hotels.  I'm better alone versus with guests/kids.  You know how you become hyper-aware of sounds and things when you first have kids and when they are young that doesn't go away until they do.  That awareness of sounds/lights.

The funny thing is storms and nature sounds like frogs/crickets/locust I sleep right through.  Those sounds belong there, but the others......nope....wide awake.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our laminate was properly installed on a solid floor with foam underlayer and it doesn't make any sound when we walk on it. SMH