Esteemed Contributor

I just received a set of 2 Beachwood Table Lamps from Costco --- the base is glass/steel and has a nice white textured shade - $89.99. It comes with the bulbs - which makes my bedroom look like it's daytime. Beautiful lamps at a great price.

Esteemed Contributor

That's one of the things I miss about California.  There is an area in the San Fernando Valley called, Antique Row, several blocks of antique and used furniture stores.  At least it was there the last time I lived there thirteen years ago.  I bought tables, chairs, a dinette set and a beautiful round oak table with four matching chairs and refinished all of them. Of course all those pieces are long gone but I enjoyed them at the time.

When I left New York in 1965 and settled in CA I put my decorating passion to work and loved every minute of it.  I've been wanting to buy lamps lately and the prices are outrageous.  mominohio, the lamp you found is lovely and the price, well what can I say, it can't be beat, enjoy it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thrift store find

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma

I just googled the Antique Stores in Sherman Oaks and it's still there. I've never entered one of these type stores - because I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. I'm sure u could find treasures - especially the fact u know about refinishing!!! 

I have lots of furniture from the 1960s/70s that my mother and I bought brand new. It's still going strong as it's real wood --- and substantial materials.

I was born in NYC - and moved to Los Angeles in 1966. I lived in the SFV from 1969 to 1978; then the Conejo Valley --- and now live in north Oxnard. Couldn't live anywhere else.

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

I just googled the Antique Stores in Sherman Oaks and it's still there. I've never entered one of these type stores - because I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. I'm sure u could find treasures - especially the fact u know about refinishing!!! 

I have lots of furniture from the 1960s/70s that my mother and I bought brand new. It's still going strong as it's real wood --- and substantial materials.

I was born in NYC - and moved to Los Angeles in 1966. I lived in the SFV from 1969 to 1978; then the Conejo Valley --- and now live in north Oxnard. Couldn't live anywhere else.

kivah, I know the feeling, I miss CA terribly, here in AZ for 13 yrs, too expensive to go back.  Incidentally, the area I shopped at was in Canoga Park.  What a coincidence, we both moved from NY to CA a year apart.  I lived in Northridge, Chatsworth and Encino during my 40 years there.  Used to drive to Oxnard to visit a friend often.  Good wood can last forever if taken care of, which obviously you did since you still have yours.  Thanks for sharing with me.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam