Trusted Contributor

Re: Thought buying a microwave would be

@Desert Lily wrote:

I appreciate all the input and advice. I could watch how to install on YouTube, but I don't have the strength to hold up a microwave above my stove to install it, nor could I hang onto the old one to uninstall. (this is the type that has the fan in it and goes above the stove) The old one wouldn't fit in the recycle can, and then I'd have to find a way to get it in the car and travel 12 miles to the dump. I'm relieved with the purchase I made. I just never thought it would be so complicated.

I totally appreciate not wanting to install yourself.  Microwaves are heavy and it took two of us to install ours.  One had to hold it up while the other got it into position and secured it.  We have the same style as yours.  There are times when it is worth it to have someone else do it for you.

Honored Contributor

The local Ace Hardware store in my town discontinued selling appliances after 35 years.  I was able to get my dishwasher and refrigerator there and delivered in 2 days.

We have an independent Maytag dealer here who also sells Speed Queen.  I got my SQ washer and dryer and Maytag oven from them.

I already know what model I want and they order it if they don't have it in their warehouse and I get it in less than a week.  If it's in the warehouse, they can deliver the next day or so depending on how many deliveries they have.

Lowes/HD would be my very last resort.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

For those folks who are incredulous that some of us need help with home improvements/installations, bless your hearts and count your lucky stars. Some of us are a bit older - I'm 70 and do not have the strength to even consider a project like this. Some of us are disabled or have a spouse who is disabled. If you don't have these issues to deal with, then good for you. But please understand that some of us have no choice but to pay to have work done for us.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

For those folks who are incredulous that some of us need help with home improvements/installations, bless your hearts and count your lucky stars. Some of us are a bit older - I'm 70 and do not have the strength to even consider a project like this. Some of us are disabled or have a spouse who is disabled. If you don't have these issues to deal with, then good for you. But please understand that some of us have no choice but to pay to have work done for us.

And some of us are widows. And even if we have kids there are sometimes real reasons why we don't want them fiddling with certain jobs. So we pay to have it done by someone who knows what they're doing and will do it right the first time. If there was a very simple one or at the most two step way to do it I'd take a photo of mine with my ipad and post it but I haven't got a clue how.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

What am I missing?  Why do you have to pay for installation for a microwave oven. 

Ive bought many over the years.  Unplug the old one, plug in the new one. 

@september

Her microwave is obviously a built-in.  Not everyone has their microwave sitting out on a counter.

I’ve had built ins too.  Never needed to pay anyone to install. 

Easy intructions can be found on YouTube 

You should have come to watch my new one installed earlier this summer, @september.  It two guys to lift and maneuver it into place.  Then they had to adjust and re-adjust the fittings.  

It is over my stove, under and between cabinets.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@september wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

What am I missing?  Why do you have to pay for installation for a microwave oven. 

@september

Her microwave is obviously a built-in.  Not everyone has their microwave sitting out on a counter.

You should have come to watch my new one installed earlier this summer, @september.  It two guys to lift and maneuver it into place.  Then they had to adjust and re-adjust the fittings.  

@GingerPeach That's how mine is located too. And my stove is glass topped. They knew enough to bring padded blanket type things to place on it cause God forbid they had accidentally dropped it or any of the tools they used on it.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@september wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

@september

@GingerPeach That's how mine is located too. And my stove is glass topped. The knew enough to bring padded blanket type things to place on it cause God forbid they had accidentally dropped it or any of the tools they used on it.

My stove is glass topped, too, @shaggygirl.  And they did pad the area.  I was very happy with the installers.  Top notch.  And not all that expensive.  I think it was $150 to install.  It was done through a local appliance store.  I don't go to big box stores either (at least not for this kind of thing).

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I do not understand the no tax part but the rest of it isn't a surprise.  It's just comparison shopping.  If you don't get what you want from one retailer at the price you want then you move on to the next.  Just like you did.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

It's one of the built in, over the stove ones.