Respected Contributor

Thought buying a microwave would be

simple. I was wrong. I woke up this morning, went to heat a cup of water, and the above-stove microwave stopped working. I tried again ... lights, noise, but nothing else. I looked online before going to a well-known home improvement store. It took less than 5 minutes to pick out the one I wanted. The salesman said I could pay for it now but it could not be installed until mid-January - more than 4 weeks from today. I asked if it could just be delivered, and I'd hire someone else to install. He said the old one would have to be uninstalled first and the delivery date would have to be after December 25th. I couldn't imagine not being able to cook in a microwave for that long and was so surprised at the salesman's answers. I got back in the car and drove to a regional furniture/appliance store, and they had the same microwave $20 cheaper, no haul away charge, and the installation was $35 less. On top of that, there was no tax because the installer would have it. It will be delivered and installed Wednesday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thought buying a microwave would be

I don't understand the no tax part but I always try to buy from local merchants rather than big box chains for something like that, where you need service as well as a product.

Lowe's & Home Depot are good for do-it-yourself, but I've heard nothing but horror stories from friends who have purchased large appliances.

Hope it all works out for you.

Honored Contributor

What am I missing?  Why do you have to pay for installation for a microwave oven. 

Ive bought many over the years.  Unplug the old one, plug in the new one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

What am I missing?  Why do you have to pay for installation for a microwave oven. 

@september

Her microwave is obviously a built-in.  Not everyone has their microwave sitting out on a counter.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

@september

Her microwave is obviously a built-in.  Not everyone has their microwave sitting out on a counter.

I’ve had built ins too.  Never needed to pay anyone to install. 

Easy intructions can be found on YouTube 

Trusted Contributor

@september  Hers is installed above the stove, usually lots of bolts into a cabinet. I just had to replace one like that myself, not as easy as it sounds, handyman had a difficult time finding a replacement with the right dimensions 

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@september  Hers is installed above the stove, usually lots of bolts into a cabinet. I just had to replace one like that myself, not as easy as it sounds, handyman had a difficult time finding a replacement with the right dimensions 

Ok.  I see your point!  I did have to recently pay a handyman to install two new lights in my over the range hood.  It was more work than I would have thought, and took him an hour, even with my help. 

Trusted Contributor

@september  sorry I just saw your post. Kudos to you for being a good DYI er. Me not so much. Even if I knew how I could not do it due to physical limitations.  Admire folks who can do those projects  theirself. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software

In my area oftentimes to drum up business, the seller will credit the sales tax on the transaction, thus picking up the sales tax, usually done by furniture/appliance stores to drum up sales.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@webbgarner1 wrote:

Ok.  I see your point!  I did have to recently pay a handyman to install two new lights in my over the range hood.  It was more work than I would have thought, and took him an hour, even with my help. 

I agree, I don't fool with electricity  myself.

I did repair my washing machine myself but I draw the line at electrical installations.

I can change a simple outlet.

I need a new light in my hall and kitchen.   Both are 3-ways.    Not fooling with it either.  I live in an old house.   Youtube hasn't seen my house!   I'll pay someone for that hassle.