Honored Contributor

Re: Thought buying a microwave would be

@september wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@september wrote:

What am I missing?  Why do you have to pay for installation for a microwave oven. 

Ive bought many over the years.  Unplug the old one, plug in the new one. 

@september

Her microwave is obviously a built-in.  Not everyone has their microwave sitting out on a counter.

I’ve had built ins too.  Never needed to pay anyone to install. 

Easy intructions can be found on YouTube 

@september.  You try installing anchors then lifting it into correct position on those anchors and see how easy it is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It pays to know when to hold em and know when to walk away.

Respected Contributor

I did this about 6 months ago, went to Lowes for a built in around $325 plus $100 to install it but I do use their charge to get 5% back. Yes, they will take out the old brackets & install new ones. also was around a 3 week wait too. The day of the install the guy was about 2hr late glad we are retired. About 2yrs ago my 13yr fridge was acting up but still working knowing I would probably have a few weeks wait for delivery I brought a new one without the old one breaking. The delivery was a few hours late from the time that was scheduled. That also was delivery & recycle fee too on top of the price. 

Respected Contributor

I appreciate all the input and advice. I could watch how to install on YouTube, but I don't have the strength to hold up a microwave above my stove to install it, nor could I hang onto the old one to uninstall. (this is the type that has the fan in it and goes above the stove) The old one wouldn't fit in the recycle can, and then I'd have to find a way to get it in the car and travel 12 miles to the dump. I'm relieved with the purchase I made. I just never thought it would be so complicated.

Respected Contributor

I need to get a new above stove microwave too and have been putting it off because of the hassle you described.  I definitely would want someone else to install it too because of the weight.  I’ve had pretty good luck with Best Buy and appliances so I might see if they install above stove microwaves. I recently bought a new gas stove and had them install it (hook up the gas line properly and make sure there were no leaks). They did a good job. 

Regular Contributor

BUY LOCAL........B UY SMALL 

Had the same thing happen to me last month.  The handle fell off my microwave ! 

Big box store was making it such a big deal, went to local appliance store and got same microwave cheaper and installed in 2 days!!

Respected Contributor

@Desert Lily  Before you buy a new microwave, first check the FUSE.  Many microwaves just blow a fuse and are not dead.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september wrote:

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@september  Hers is installed above the stove, usually lots of bolts into a cabinet. I just had to replace one like that myself, not as easy as it sounds, handyman had a difficult time finding a replacement with the right dimensions 

Ok.  I see your point!  I did have to recently pay a handyman to install two new lights in my over the range hood.  It was more work than I would have thought, and took him an hour, even with my help. 

I had to get a new over the stove one recently. Got it at a smaller local appliance place I've been doing business with for many years. In fact the one that bit the dust came from their store 15 years ago (a GE brand) so I surely got more than my money's worth. Back then they had their own installers. Now they have a small company they hire for all their installations. Installation was $125, paid to the appliance store.  It was just added on to the cost of the microwave, one check made out to the appliance store. I wondered if the store takes a cut of the $125 but didn't want to ask, not my business.

I watched the two guys and it was quite the job. They earned their money. They also hauled away the dead one. I seriously doubt this new one will last as long as the old one did cause you all know they don't make things like they used to. The new one is a Frigidaire. This one has a few features I still haven't attempted...first on the list is setting the end of cook cycle beep beep beep to a lower sound cause as it is now they probably hear it across the street. It's ear piercing at it's current level. I've read the directions about 20 times but haven't given it a go yet. Have a fear of screwing it up and making it even louder.

Editing to say that I went back and read again all the posts and wanted to add that after watching the two guys install mine there is no way it was a one man job. Why mine would be so different than some of you who did it yourself I have no clue. Maybe mine was bigger and heavier because I know it needed a new and different mounting plate. Actually I do know it's a bit taller than my old one because the cabinet doors above it need a little tugging now to get them open, so I don't use them anymore. I think that's because that's where the exhaust vents are and they are raised up a little  whereas on my old one the exhaust vents were in the front above the door. Yes mine is exhausted inside (charcoal filter). And no doubt none of you really give a hoot about all this lol.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we have built-in microwaves. My dh and I have installed many of therm. I would never pay someone to do such an easy job. But that's just me. Years ago when I had to replace a microwave in my old house where I had whitel appliances. I had to special order, and pay extra, for a white one! Stainless and black were in stock but had to special order white. Insane. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Your story is exactly why I purchase appliances only from my local independent appliance store.  They offer me exceptional service and products are available that day or within a few days.

When we first got married and purchased our home we tried those big box stores and those appiances didn't last - even though there was a big name attached.  Get much better quality appliances from my  local retailer.

Lucky for me Hubby is handy as well - I didn't want to pay the install fee for our microwave so we did it ourselves.