Honored Contributor

THE "I LOVE LUCY" CONNECTICUT HOUSE

[ Edited ]

So many people love Lucy and Desi's country house, as well as their earlier New York apartment.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.21.11 AM.png

For anyone who may have missed past threads,  there's a blogger named Marina Coates, who's a trained architect.  She reconstructs, through computer-generated means, the sets, and gives video tours, of some of the most beloved movie and TV interior sets.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.20.19 AM.png

She also supplies the "fourth wall",  the one we never see b/c that's where the cameras are, and imagines what's on them based on the context of the room.

Since sets were often tweaked over the years, she chooses one season, and reproduces what the interior was like during that season.

She works to scale, and researches original colors, etc.  She has verified that the walls of the living room here really were that soft green, for example:

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.21.54 AM.png

The back-to-back couches in front of the fireplace were so cozy.   I always loved that little tucked-away closet under the stair landing...

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.22.13 AM.png

Here's an actual, not colorized, photo of the set's color palette:

images (6).jpeg

The dining area was spacious and welcoming--

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.50.24 AM.png

I'm crazy about their kitchen in the country-- always loved that little back staircase that came down into it...

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.23.47 AM.png

Marina also tours the den, the bedroom of the main house, and also here below, the cottage where the Mertzes lived-- the cute guest cottage on the property :

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.28.45 AM.png

I think the living room was the only room of the guest cottage we got to see?

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.30.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.30.05 AM.png

Marina interviews Keith Thibodeaux,  who played 'little Ricky'.    He commented that upon meeting him during his audition, Lucy said, "He's cute-  but what can he do?"  Ha.

Luckily he was such an amazing little drummer and so engaging, he clinched the role.

Anyway, very fun tour to take, "in motion".  Other really good ones are "The D ick Van D yke" house,  Andy Griffith's house,  the Jefferson's "deluxe apartment in the sky",  the "Bewitched" house,  the fab "Parent Trap" movie ranch, Lucy's New York apt. and Mary Tyler Moore's big studio apartment, and too many to mention.

I'm waiting for her to do Perry Mason's modern apartment, with that low slung fireplace, and exotic global touches...

To take the video tour of Lucy's house, google:

I Love Lucy Country Home Tour  Marina Coates

Trusted Contributor

Re: THE "I LOVE LUCY" CONNECTICUT HOUSE

@Oznell  -  Thanks for posting!  How fascinating.  As someone who grew up watching these shows, and interested in interior design, I am definitely going to check out her videos!

Honored Contributor

Oh, great, @DecorDiva --  I think you'll love them!

Valued Contributor

@Oznell this is really cool. The Bewitched one was  super

interesting . It seems like Samantha was getting a home remodel 

every week! Thanks for the info on this channel😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

So fascinating!  I'm going to pour over it later today.

Remember the episode when Lucy goes furniture shopping at a friend's store?  She thinks everything is very reduced, but she was looking at the wrong numbers or something.  I can't remember all the details, but it ended up being a lot of money.

It was all that Early American style furniture.  Not my cup of tea NOW, but, at the time, I thought it was fabulous.

That country home was always a favorite of mine.  So interesting to see the interior and remember.

Esteemed Contributor

This is one of my favorite posts. I love things like this. Lucy’s NY apartment and Country house just give me a warm feeling. I wouldn’t change a thing in any of the décor. (You know we all give our two cents about what we would change lol)

I am going to check out all her other work.

Honored Contributor

My favorite tv house that I wanted to live in was Diagnosis Murder-****** Van Dykes house-gosh I forgot his character's name already!

I loved when they always sat out on the deck over the ocean!

I tried to find where that house was but never did.

I just tried to find it on Marina Coates sites but didn't see it.

I wonder if they don't tell the address to prevent stalkers like me lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

How about Jessica Fletcher's house in Cabot Cove, Maine on Murder She Wrote?

Honored Contributor

Wow! Amazing.

@Witchy Woman
I remember that episode! I think the numbers on the little tags were item numbers and she thought they were prices. 🤣
Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

That is such a great house, always loved it, thank you for posting it and also a reminder about Marina Coates.

I discovered her videos a couple years ago when researching info on the Bewitched set.  So much fun. Smiley Happy