Honored Contributor

I'm going to be moving to a new house, more than likely in January, and it looks like I will probably leave our current refrigerator in this house and buy a new one for the new house.

Forever, we always had a side by side refrigerator.

3 years ago, we bought a French door with the freezer on the bottom.  It's been fine.  It's just too big for my needs now.

I went to Home Depot yesterday to do some casual looking and I'm thinking about going back to side by side.  

The salesman said the shortage of refrigerators is easing up a little.  He suggested waiting for the Black Friday sales to shop for one.

'What are your thoughts about French door vs. side by side?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I ordered a new side by side in April and am still waiting.  The microwave, wall oven, and dishwasher came promptly, but the refrigerator is now saying "early fall."  I say order one soon!  My choice was limited because of needing black stainless is a specific size. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have had both. Bought the French door for my previous home. Buyers bought it from me. Inherited a side by side with my present home.

When the time comes I will go back to the French door model. If you prefer smaller, especially a smaller freezer you may prefer the side by side.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Refrigerators

[ Edited ]

Before I moved to my current home our refrigerators were always ones with a top freezer.  I longed for a side-by-side.

When we moved into my current home it had a side-by-side and it was only a matter of weeks before I was longing for something else.  So awkward to to fit some packaged products in the freezer compartment due to its narrowness, things worked their way to the back, which is deeper than in other styles, and being forgotten or requiring items be moved to get to the wanted item.  I easily adapted to the refrigerator section but never got used to the freezer compartment.

Finally it died and I replaced it with a French door model with the freezer on the bottom.  It took a little while to get the placement of items in the refrigerator section the way I wanted them but the freezer was a joy from day one.

No question on my part, if I had to replace my present refrigerator it will be another French door model.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Refrigerators

[ Edited ]

I say order your refrigerator ASAP...

I read an article about refrigerators destroyed by the tens of thousands in New Orleans and other places that had flooding that affected the refrigerators...

Apparently, when food such as meat spoils inside a fridge, the odor permeates the insulation in the fridge, the insides where one can't clean, etc....and they must be replaced.

There will probably be LOTS of refrigerators ( as well as other appliances) needing to be replaced so you might consider that when waiting to order one...

It's a sad fact of result of flooding in a major hurricane....and IDA flooded TWICE the areas that usual hurricanes do...

I feel so bad for those who were flooded.....what a mess and with the shortage of people to hire and winter coming ( in the NE) it's going to be terrible.

Honored Contributor

I stilll love my side by side, but I have a very big 27 cu ft, which means the freezer is fairly wide, a smalller model would mean a smaller and narrower freezer. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh The side-by-side is my least favorite configuration. The freezer is too narrow and its space is inefficient. As for French Door, I like having the refrigerator on top so that the items we use the most are at eye level. The bottom freezer is cut up by drawers that must slide and cost some storage capacity, but I much prefer the French Door to a side-by-side.

If you want a smaller refrigerator, don't rule out the traditional top freezer style. The freezer space is unobstructed and holds a considerable amount of frozen food. The down side is your vegetable drawers are practically on the floor and more difficult to access.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

I ordered a new side by side in April and am still waiting.  The microwave, wall oven, and dishwasher came promptly, but the refrigerator is now saying "early fall."  I say order one soon!  My choice was limited because of needing black stainless is a specific size. 

@sandy53 - the rep at Home Depot said the longest they will hold one once sold, without delivering it, is 90 days.  My house won't be ready in 90 days.  He said it was way too early to order for a January delivery.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Contributor

I love my freezer on the bottom, refrigerator on top model. Did not want to deal with french doors.

Honored Contributor

We've always had the "old fashioned" freezer on the top.  In our current condo we have a side by side and we HATE it.  Can't wait until it breaks down.  The freezer section is practically useless--so narrow.  When we get a new refrigerator, it will be with the freezer on the bottom.