Honored Contributor

I love having a French Door fridge.  I will never go back to a side by side.  The space is so inefficient for me and very frustrating.  

I'd order the fridge now and store it until you move.  A lot can happen in a few months with stock and deliveries.

Valued Contributor
Maybe this is obvious, but above & beyond what style of fridge, do you know from the company who is building your new place the SIZE of the cabinet/surround of your kitchen for the fridge? If you buy something that won't fit, you're in trouble & if bought too early might not be able to return/exchange. Same goes if it's too small, it will just look weird/off.

I'm hyper sensitive to size/measurements of anything for the home as I live in an older home, so first & foremost when buying ANYTHING-I have measurements of what will even fit (space/through doorways & hallways/won't look out of place i.e. too big or too small).
Valued Contributor
I'm a side by side girl. Never liked digging down to the floor to find anything in a freezer on the bottom unit (in friends/family homes). I like top to bottom shelves to see everything & never had an issue fitting anything in my freezer-even frozen pizzas!
Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm going to be moving to a new house, more than likely in January, and it looks like I will probably leave our current refrigerator in this house and buy a new one for the new house.

Forever, we always had a side by side refrigerator.

3 years ago, we bought a French door with the freezer on the bottom.  It's been fine.  It's just too big for my needs now.

I went to Home Depot yesterday to do some casual looking and I'm thinking about going back to side by side.  

The salesman said the shortage of refrigerators is easing up a little.  He suggested waiting for the Black Friday sales to shop for one.

'What are your thoughts about French door vs. side by side?

@gidgetgh 

Do you freeze larger size items, like freezing ice trays with left over chicken / beef broth, leftover fresh lemon juice or small portions of pesto or other semi solids or liquids?  I use the larger flat area in my pull out freezer drawer in my french door refrigerator, couldn't be without it.  Side by side too narrow for me for my purposes.  We also have a door within a door that allows partially opening the refrigerator on one side with immediate access of your favorite items.   

@rockygems123 - no, not at all.  I really don't cook much and live alone.  I have one pack of chicken breasts, frozen personal sized pizzas, bread and some frozen meals in the freezer now.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@gidgetgh,  I very much agree with other posters that appliances may become even more difficult to get due to all the flooding. 

Since you will have other things to move come January would it be feasible to take delivery of the new refrigerator now and store it at your present location until moving day?

@Marp I could.....I guess. Sigh.  I just really didn't want to have to move it.  But I hadn't thought about the floods.  "Worst" thing is that I'll take our current refrigerator with me and the buyers of our house can figure out what to do for themselves.

Honored Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict wrote:
Maybe this is obvious, but above & beyond what style of fridge, do you know from the company who is building your new place the SIZE of the cabinet/surround of your kitchen for the fridge? If you buy something that won't fit, you're in trouble & if bought too early might not be able to return/exchange. Same goes if it's too small, it will just look weird/off.

I'm hyper sensitive to size/measurements of anything for the home as I live in an older home, so first & foremost when buying ANYTHING-I have measurements of what will even fit (space/through doorways & hallways/won't look out of place i.e. too big or too small).

@sometimesQVCaddict - I'm good with the measurements.  I measured the space in the model home and mine will be just like it.  I appreciate you posting that though.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  

When are you listing your current house for sale?  Will your current fridge fit in your new house?

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

@gidgetgh : Another option not yet mentioned for a smaller fridge/freezer would be a counter-depth unit in either style.

@queendiva - thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going with counter depth this time.

My French door is counter depth. I really like that it does not protrude into our main walkway in the kitchen. If you want a counter depth, the options are more limited, and they are more expensive. Counter depth is more shallow and allows easy access to items in the back so it would satisfy your need for a smaller fridge.

Someone mentioned taking your old fridge to the new house. If you really like it and don't want to lose it, buy a new fridge for your current house that is moderate in price and move the old one. Good luck with your new house. Whatever you decide will be fine.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   The problem with ordering it now and storing it is the Warranty.  It starts the day of delivery.  You would be losing alot of time, maybe months, on the warranty.  I wouldn't store it for that reason.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@gidgetgh  

When are you listing your current house for sale?  Will your current fridge fit in your new house?

@Bri369 - I'm not listing our house till I've closed and moved into the new house, which will probably be January.  (So far, the new house has only the foundation poured.  Framing is supposed to start this week).  I will probably list it the day I move or a few days prior. And, yes, the current fridge will fit in the new house.  Thanks for mentioning that.