Honored Contributor

Re: Receiving Candles as a Gift

They are a common gift and I have no objection to burning candles. I tend to like fruity and wintry scents, like pine. Sure, some people might be allergic, but then animal dander is an allergen to some. It comes down to it being the thought that counts.

Honored Contributor

My house is filled with flameless candles. I love candles but my asthma has made burning candles a nightmare (no clue as to why. It was fine up until recently). That said, there are some that I can burn without issue and I purchase them repeatedly. Those close to me know this so they buy those specific candles. Otherwise, I simply regift the item to someone who I know loves any brand/scent of candle.

I only purchase them for those I know use and love them. It's pretty obvious when you go into their home or they tell you they live for candle sales, lol. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Um! Yes!!!! It is one of my favorites gifts to give and receive!!!!!I burn all the time, well maybe not so much in the Summer months, but in the Winter I love burning candles..........I love melting tarts as well......I would never give as a gift though unless I know the person likes candles. And even then I would stay with a light scent, not everyone loves the stronger scents.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

They are a common gift and I have no objection to burning candles. I tend to like fruity and wintry scents, like pine. Sure, some people might be allergic, but then animal dander is an allergen to some. It comes down to it being the thought that counts.

I guess I don't get the connection to animals and animal dander. I don't know too many people who assume giving an animal as a gift is a good idea... As for the thought counting, well of course it does, at least until one has gently made clear their inability to burn scented candles, at which point some other generic gift requiring minimal thought would seem indicated...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

OM gosh-----got tons of them from when I worked at a preschool---I am not a candle person at all---the thought of a lit flame burning all around my house, puts me into orbit. -I got rid of them all. I would honestly, immediately refuse it, forget it or dump it----the battery ones are fine. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb sorry I should explain that one poster said not to donate candles to thrift stores because pets are sensitive to fragrances. My point was that there are people who are allergic to animals, and therefore wouldn't have a pet in the house. Those people might want to buy the donated candles and enjoy them.

Valued Contributor

This thread has made me paranoid. I'm going to my boss's house tonight for a staff Christmas party, and I was going to give him a Homeworx Frozen Balsam candle in one of the gift boxes that some of the candles came with last season in a nice gift bag with tissue paper. My boss is a 40 year old man married to another man, and they just moved into their new home. No pets or kids. Should I just get a bottle of wine instead?

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

This thread has made me paranoid. I'm going to my boss's house tonight for a staff Christmas party, and I was going to give him a Homeworx Frozen Balsam candle in one of the gift boxes that some of the candles came with last season in a nice gift bag with tissue paper. My boss is a 40 year old man married to another man, and they just moved into their new home. No pets or kids. Should I just get a bottle of wine instead?

@MaryLamb  Yes.

Honored Contributor

Fragrance is such a personal thing and can cause issues for many, including myself, so it's not a gift I would give or want for myself but I'd graciously accept it. 

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@MaryLamb . No Wine is so common-go with the Candle! It's the Holidays, and even if they don't light it, it will smell good unlit! Plus the Homewrox candles are so pretty! Everyone brings Wine!