Respected Contributor

Re: Question for those with spouses, SOs, kids or roomies....

I'm been married for going on 53 years and honestly, my dh doesn't care much about how the house is decorated.  I think he realizes that whatever I do here, it's much better than anything he'd come up with.  The only piece of furniture that I'm not crazy about is his chair and he has it because he's had disc problems and it's so comfortable for him that I wouldn't have the heart to tell him I don't care for the looks of it.  Other than that, the house is decorated like I want it to be.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never had a problem that way, my husband and son could care less how I decorated our home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

This is off subject but can imagine your home is filled with many beautiful pieces.  I had a aunt & uncle - he was a neurosurgeon.  In the early 50s they relocated to Arizona for him to be head of neurosurgery at a hospital there.

He went to the Navajo reservation (and I believe another indian tribe there)became good friends with many of the leaders.  He would get them medical care in return for the next 30+ years they would gift them for their kindness loomed rugs, pottery pieces, kachina dolls, wooden cross from a church which was being rebuilt, turquoise jewelry & many other handmade pieces.  

Their home was like a museum -- look but don't touch.  My aunt had many of these items in glass wall bookcases throughout her home.  

I took my younger son on a trip to their home -- my aunt arranged for a navajo guide for our trip to grand canyon with a stop on the reservation for a beautiful lunch.  Another day she arranged a trip to Sedona and I can't recall but something Red Rock.  It was a wonderful trip.

Upon her death, they had a appraisal done of her home contents, jewelry, artifacts collected over the years.  Her estate was valued at over a million dollars.  I couldn't imagine the value of just 1 of the kachina dolls let alone the hand loomed rugs found throughout her sprawling home.

I wish I had pics still of her home -- I'm sure you would like to see this collection as you are familiar with these items.

I wanted to add: he died in his late 40s, she lived to her 90s and they had no children.  Some of these pieces were left to her "caregiver", a few pieces of her jewelry (including a large amount of canary, black diamonds, gold, indian pieces) were sold the remainder of her assets were bought by auction thru a auction house specializing in indian artifacts & proceeds went to child's hospital and a family member.

@house_cat

I've always decorated our homes.  Spouse never really cared.

My spouse & kids are well trained -- no messy rooms/bathrooms, eat & clean up, put their stuff away.  No wonder both my boys are neat freaks as adults,😉

Trusted Contributor

I live alone. My house is not decorated in any sort of way. I am not a creative thinker. I paint the walls every couple years, but that is about it.

I don't even hang pictures. Decor is mix and match, some things from a 30 year marriage, some inherited from kids leaving their stuff here and never coming back for it so I put it to use.

My house would be one of those on HGTV where people walk in and say "oh my, this needs an update, it is stuck in the 80's" HA!

I don't mind. I own it outright, and I have heat and food and a car in a garage. I don't care if I am stuck in the 80's Smiley Happy

When I die my kids can call "We buy ugly houses" LOL

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I understand what you are saying.  In my opinion, not knocking men at all, but they do approach things differently than we do, don't they?

I pretty much have the furniture I wanted this time, within a budget.  Bought all new on my own when I moved here--significant other of many years was wrapping up things at the old apartment in CT so I was in the new digs alone for three months.

So couch, coffee table, lamps, chairs, rugs, drapes, beds, bed coverings and sheets, mattresses, and chests, bath towels, shower curtains, were all my own choice.  Had to work within the color scheme of the new rental, but fortunately it was one I liked.  Decorative and kitchen items were transported to the new place and have added a very few new since the move.

Life is compromise, though, so we bend each other's way.  He does have a tendency to rearrange where things are stored in the kitchen which makes me batty sometimes but I get over it quickly.  He enjoys cooking as much as I do and is very neat about it so I don't mind sharing that task and he likes to stay active.  

Will be glad when the spring comes around again so he can busy himself outdoors with the yard.  He fussed over the tomato plants this summer with pretty good results, despite having a record breaking year of rain in DC.  I like gardening, too, but he takes care of the leaves, shoveling snow, trash, etc, which I can handle if need be.  I enjoy weeding and edging the beds.

I would probably have more guests in my home if I lived alone.  I miss my female and some male friends of many years.  I am very sociable and have had some men--not this one--criticize me for it.  

Some men are not that sociable and my significant other is one of them. (He gets up very early and goes to bed very early--sort of a sunrise to sunset kind of timetable.)  He misses some long time close friends that we had up north (many of whom he met through me) and really hasn't made any new ones here, yet.  Given time, I am certain he will.  He is sort of the reticent type, not shy, exactly, but guarded, whereas I like all types of people and am probably not cautious enough, sometimes.

One of my fantasies would be to have a fancy patterned set of dinnerware--not the white-on-white slightly embellished set that I now have.

I won the battle of no more ugly brown recliner anywhere in this home.  Have a nice rocking chair instead that he likes.

On balance he is a very good man and we appreciate each other.

But, it is good that I am much more of a night owl since I do cherish some time alone in the evening to read, daydream, and so forth.

It will be fascinating to read the opinion of others.  You've raised an intriguing question.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I also have pretty much the say on how the house is decorated. My husband wants the furniture to be comfortable and that is pretty much his only concern. Well, maybe the furniture is well made, too. So those are his two concerns.

So if I lived alone, the furniture would look the same. And there would be alot less "stuff". My husband has many hobbies. And he is well equipped for every hobby. He had drawers and containers of running gear. Well, his hip and knee started bothering him. So he started hiking. And on occasion hiked overnight. So he has a tent for every occasion. Sleeping bags for every temperature. Boots for all kinds of climates. Socks, pants, shirts and jackets for any weather condition. Plus all kinds of food and back packs.

Then my son collects DVDs. He has bookcases filled. And he also collects vinyl records. And has even more bookcases filled.

So if I lived alone, I would enjoy rattling around a house minus all the DVDs, vinyl records and hiking equipment.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH doesn’t care how the house is decorated .He & my son love everything I do. I have free reign.

If I were alone the house would be neater.But frankly,I’d rather have them than a neater house.I clean more often lol!! It’s worth it to have the blessing of the people I love around.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Just DH and me...no children, but one old cat.  He has his own bathroom in the garage, so work clothing, etc, stays out there....and he washes all his own "stuff", so I cannot really complain.  And....he's not a beer drinker, so no cans sitting around Cat LOL

I've decorated as I pleased since the beginning.  Very traditional or antique furnishings.  Although, I did run the big things past him.  He generally likes what I select.  He's purchased many of the antiques and they are lovely. 

It's been so long, I'm not sure what, if anything I would change.  I keep my house very neat and have housekeepers every two weeks.  He respects our furnishings and is not a slob.  Maybe I'm lucky?

He's a builder and likely will never retire.  That's fine we me!

But, this set me to thinking about an older friend I had.  When her DH died, she got ride of EVERYTHING in the house and furnished it to her liking.  Changed colors and everything.  

Perhaps she was ready for a change, or perhaps she disliked what was there.  She never said Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Partnered or not.....depending on the decorating decision maker and their mate...it could be the same as living alone as far as decorating style.  One may abdicate those choices to their sole mate.  So it is more a question of do you have the freedom to choose your home style or not because my guess is many posters have that ability and are not alone.  @house_cat  is there any way you could have a pow wow with the men in your house and gently approach the subject.  You could start your "sketch book" and maybe start slowly replacing an item or two.

Honored Contributor

I decorate pretty much the way I want to.  DH doesn't care.  Unfortunately he doesn't care about picking up after himself either.  This drives me crazy!  My house would be much more tidy if I lived alone.