Honored Contributor

Question for those with spouses, SOs, kids or roomies....

I hope this question doesn't hurt or offend anyone who is living alone due to widowhood, divorce or other sad circumstances. Please understand that is not my intention.

I love my husband and son, but they're men, and they don't think like I do.  I fantasize often about how I'd decorate or live differently if I lived alone.

How would your home look or function differently if you had no one else to consider?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those with spouses, SOs, kids or roomies....

@house_cat.....I am married....no kids in the house, never were, except when DH's daughter lived with us for a few years....

I decorate exactly how I like, my husband does not care what I do within reason (cost wise)...he did stop me from taking down a small wall between the kitchen and dinig room and turning our staircase so that you would go up the stairs  from the living room instead of running into it when you walked in the front door...but in his defense...it would be to expensive........I like to think big.

What do you want to do that your family does not agree with?

Esteemed Contributor

no beer   maybe no cable   no more sleeping on the couch (one of us always on the couch)  hmmmm, what else?

Honored Contributor

I pretty much always decorated how I like and my spouse was fine with that.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

My husband certainly doesn't dictate what I do, but he has his own strong opinions about furniture style, colors and other things.  We compromise, but since I love decorating, I can't help imagining what I'd do if I didn't have to compromise.  I didn't answer my own OP question right off, because there are so many things and I really want to think first.  I will respond and I'm hoping to find out that I'm not alone in these imaginings. It doesn't mean I don't love him, but I've never lived alone and I can't help thinking how I'd do things differently.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  I've never lived alone either. I went from my parents house to our house. 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Same here.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I've lived alone for years, but my house is not frilly or super feminine.   It has a strong Southwest vibe with real Indian pottery, Navajo rugs and artwork.  I have a lot of sculpture and art that features horses simply because I love and admire their beauty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

My home is sort of whimsical.  I have bird pictures from calendars framed on the wall, some rustic art, and I find I prefer colors rather than wood tone.  My kitchen cabinets are white-greyish, with green/brown (almost a tortoise shell) countertops and metal faded handles in the shapes of frogs.  My walls are light blue gray on the first floor.  Flamingos dance and decorate my bathroom.  My endtables and coffee table are a pale green.  I have very few dust collectors. I have lived alone for many years and greatly enjoyed it.  

That being said, my daughter recently moved back in.  She lives on the second floor and I try very hard to appreciate her style.  

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat Perhaps a sketch book and colored pencils are in your future?  I did this for a friend of mine.  He is a garden/flower man.  His partner had strong opinions regarding what should be in the garden, vases in the home.  I gave my friend a sketch book and colored pencils so he could sketch out his visions.  OMG, his sketch book is amazing and serves as inspiration.  Perhaps something like this would help you?  You could design, decorate to your heart's content.  Smiles.