Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those with spouses, SOs, kids or roomies....

@house_cat

boy you got me thinking ... I thought it was OK then I remembered the fights and I mean fights about getting hardwood floors in the house we built (I won).  I wanted them in this house & got "overruled" because he said with these high ceilings it would be too cold and echo (here I roll my eyes!).  I let him win NOW if I was alone...

Alot is going to change:

1)  Bring my washer & dryer BACK into the house vs. in garage (which I totally hate!!!)

2)  Hardwood floors throughout living areas, except bedrooms

3)  Replace dining room furniture and guest room furniture:  Nothing wrong with it but I want different style.

BIGGEST THING:  I will decide my BUDGET because he is CHEAP!!! LOL...I'm laughing because the "list" just keeps growing as I read these replies!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1

So funny! 

It made me wonder what their responses would be if the question were reversed... so I asked my DH and here's what he said:

More media equipment

Stereo system throughout the house

Larger and Smart TV

More TVs - we only have one

Movie poster collection would be on display (he worked in the industry for 30 years)

More AC in summer (I hate it)

Lights on 24/7 - I helped him on that one - he likes lights on in every room and NEVER turns them off

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

That would be easy answer for my spouse -- nothing!  

He has it all: Sony Bravia 70" tv with total surround system, his golf cart & equipment and home on the golf course in FL where he dreamed of living in retirement.  

Honestly, I can't imagine he'd want or change anything. He's just a happy old guy😉

Honored Contributor

Just two of us in a big home.  I did the floor plan layout of both the homes we have built.  DH reviewed, But was in agreement. We selected finishes together, no problems, we both wanted hard wood floors everywhere.

We started married life with just a few bits and pieces we each brought from the apartments we lived in as singles.  We each had lived alone for @ 5 years.  We had the mattress on the floor, board and cement block bookcase vibe going on.

I have pretty eclectic taste,

over time we were offered old, attic pieces from family members.  I stripped, recovered, and loved them, as some were pieces he remembered from childhood, he loved them too.  Pieces were added from yard sales, estate sales, etc.

My taste is not Lacey, frilly, pink, or particularly feminine, not hunting lodge, bar type either, it seems to work for both of us.  DH has never commented negatively on my choices.  He is tidy, organized, everything has a place, and storage is labeled, the scientist in him.  I am tidy, but not as organized as he is except in my work.

He has a lab/ photo area in the garage, a no go area for me, not by decree, just nothing I know anything much about except our aroma therapy area.

Our home is comfortable, livable, shared with many cats and dogs & much loved.

Sorry for the random Caps, AirPad having a hissey!

@house_cat  Enjoyed this topic.  Any chance you Could carve out a room for yourself?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe

Not a chance of carving out a single inch - it's a 1250 sq foot town home, 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms and my grown son lives with us, so he has one of the bedrooms with an ensuite bathroom.  We downsized from a 4 bedroom home about 13 years ago when we thought the kids were gone - that sure came back and bit me in the you know what, lol!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I hope this question doesn't hurt or offend anyone who is living alone due to widowhood, divorce or other sad circumstances. Please understand that is not my intention.

I love my husband and son, but they're men, and they don't think like I do.  I fantasize often about how I'd decorate or live differently if I lived alone.

How would your home look or function differently if you had no one else to consider?

@house_cat  I have always decorated the way I want, DH doesn't care.  If it were up to him, he would only have a table to eat from, stove and refrigerator, a large tv, a room for his model train set-up, and a bed to sleep in, lol.

Honored Contributor

I can honestly say that my house would probably look very very similar to what it looks like right now! My husband and I have very very similar tastes in decorating and similar styles, although he is a bit more creative than I. Probably the only difference is I would have more candles out than I do right now.....

Honored Contributor

It is just DH, a dog and me.  The house is decorated the way I'd want it.

But without DH, my house would be cleaner.  He is a "keeper" of things.  He also is a junker upper as I tell him.  LOL  If there is a decorative bowl, basket, etc., he likes to put things in them like receipts and stuff like that.  It's like he can't stand to see things empty.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Mine does the same thing!

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I have moved on from having a husband and the sons I raised are grown with homes of their own, so I do as I like in terms of home decor. One thing I learned from living with men and still retain is to not have my home look too girly. Feminine touches here and there, but that's it. Nothing too floral except for the bedspread and matching window treatments in the bedroom. Had those since I was married, and still love the look over 20 years later. A contemporary blue floral pattern wallpaper by Candice Olson on an accent wall in the master bath. These are private areas of mine. The rest of the house- only real flowers in a vase and no pink. Would not change a thing.