Regular Contributor

Recently I moved into a new house and have quartz countertops. The color is called peppercorn white. I'm trying to keep them looking new and wondered how careful you are with them. What will scratch them? I've been putting my drinking glasses on coasters and mixing bowls on trivets.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Violet FieldsI've had my quartz for just over a year now, and I practically live on those counters without seeing any damage except crumbs and fingerprints. I clean them frequently with Weiman Quartz and Stone. It's a cleaner and polish. I found it most recently at Lowe's at about half the price it was elsewhere, including Amaon and Walmart.

I do not put hot pans or my tool box on the quartz without a protector under them, so I can't tell you what either might do. I'm just hoping never to have to replace mine! Enjoy yours.

Super Contributor

Quartz is non-porous so stains won't penetrate the surface. I like quartz better than granite. Just use soap and water to clean

Respected Contributor

I moved into a new house this year, too, and have quartz kitchen countertops and quartz bathroom vanity tops. Sites on the internet say to avoid harsh cleaners like abrasives, bleach, & even vinegar. They also say to be careful not to burn the quartz and use trivets, etc. You can find more specifics online and some products that say they are for quartz countertops.

Honored Contributor

We had our Quartz countertop and backsplash installed almost 2 years ago and love it. It is super easy to keep clean.

Ours is used heavily on a daily basis and it looks perfect.

I don't place boiling hot pots on the surface but other than that we are not careful at all.

We were told it is basically indestructible and so far we have found that to be true,

Our installer said the best thing to clean it with other than soap and water is the attached ..and this cleaner smells fantastic. Hope you love yours as much as we love ours.

Sprayway 707 Glass Cleaner (Pack of 3)

Honored Contributor

Quartz has a Mohs hardness of 7 which makes it harder than granite. Anything that is harder than 7 on the Mohs scale will scratch quartz which is not many things at all. The most damage to quartz comes from heat.

Frequent Contributor

Had ours for about 6 years now, I wipe them down with dishcloth, wipe, whatever and they look the same today as they did day of installation. No scratches or any mars.

Best decision made with quartz.

Esteemed Contributor

@Violet Fields

We installed Silestone brand quartz countertops in our kitchen in 2004. It still looks great!

As another poster said, I don't put a boiling hot pot right off of the stove on it but no other special treatment. The "special for quartz" products on the market now were not around when we installed our quartz, so I just used whatever I was using to clean up in the kitchen at the time. Since it still looks so good, I have to assume that those new products are not actually needed.

Back in 2004, granite was the common countertop material, but after a lot of research I chose quartz because it was strong and needed no special care. It's definitely lived up to my expectations. Enjoy your quartz - you don't need to baby it.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I had quartz put in about 5 years ago, I clean it with whatever I have handy I like the glass cleaner mentioned above it foams. The only think I am careful about is heat. My quartz is a white base also no stains whatsoever it looks brand new.

Honored Contributor

We put in a new kitchen just over a year with quartz countertops. I use the Weiman quartz cleaner. On a daily basis I wipe down with soap & water. To disinfect I use water with alcohol at 2:1 ratio. Spray it on let it sit then wipe off with microfiber cloth. Microfiber is all I use on it.