Honored Contributor

We've had a granite countertop for a long time. I've never done anything to it except wipe it down like you do with any countertop at the end of the day. I use a microfiber cloth. Have never done any sealing. Have never put any hot pots on any countertop I've had. Everyone likes different things for their home.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Quartz Countertops

[ Edited ]

i recently upgraded my kitchen counters with Akoya by PentalQuartz (contains Swirls of vanilla and pale cream.)

The instructions say to use a clean cloth or sponge with mild soap and warm water for routine daily cleaning.  Be sure to rinse throughly and dry, as soap residue can affect the appearance.....Spills should be wiped up immediately......Mild household cleaners that can be used included Soft Scrub, Windex, Green Works, 409 or Method Daily Cleaner.

Further instructions say to always use a hot pad or trivet when setting down hot objects such as hot pans or plates.  Direct contact with extremely high heat can cause damage.  Care should also be taken whe using electric household appliances that may emit high heat such as crock pots, etc. as these can potentialyl damage the surface.

I bought 2 large white trivets and I set them next to my cooktop:  I love them!

ThermoWorks

***edited to remove link

Respected Contributor

I have quartz countertops in two of my bathrooms. The contractor who does nothing but  countertops and owns a slab yard said the quartz is softer than granite but doesn't scratch or pit easily. Since mine are in bathrooms I have not dealt with hot pans, etc. I do know I have had mine about 7 years, they are a bright white with a small darker white pattern in them and still look new. I am about to do another bathroom and will probably get quartz for that vanity also. The only issue I have heard of from some others who have quartz in the kitchen is some wear or nicks around the rim of undermount sinks. Using trivets for super hot pans is always a good idea I think, no matter what kind of surface you have. 

Trusted Contributor

@Violet Fields  I have had my quartz countertop for 12 years. Still looks brand new. Use a soft cloth and mild detergent to clean. I do not put hot pots or pans directly on it, and of course if you abuse it anything will scratch, but you do not have to baby quartz as much as granite in my opinion. It is nonporous and very durable.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quartz Countertops

[ Edited ]

I've had granite in my kitchen for 10 years, one bathroom for about 7, and recently put a granite countertop in the master bath. The two older ones have never been re-sealed, and I clean them with whatever's handy. Never babied them at all, and they are still beautiful with no damage. 

Quartz is beautiful, too! My BFF just had it installed in her kitchen and it's gorgeous.

edited to add: I don't use anything abrasive on them...that would be a big no-no!

Regular Contributor

@Trailrun23 My kitchen sink is an undermount, so I'll have to be extra careful. Thanks for mentioning that!

Honored Contributor

@Mikeysone wrote:
Quart countertops are very durable. Better then granite. No special treatment is necessary. Don't need trivets or coasters. I put hot pans on it. No problem. Avoid slicing or chopping. I use a board. Had these counters 5 years now. Love them..no need to bay them

@Mikeysone 

You are saying the complete opposite of what we heard from our rep just yesterday. I am in the planning stages of remodeling my kitchen. When we were looking at quartz samples the rep asked what I had now. I currently have granite. She said its pretty different than granite. I can't cut on Quartz (I never do on my granite), and absolutely no hot pans, pots, nothing thats hot. It could melt. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor
I have had quartz for 3 years now. Am still obsessed!!!! I only use a wet paper towel or cloth, or add Dawn on occasion to wipe down, that's it!

I don't cut anything on my quartz, I use cutting boards.

I NEVER put anything hot on it. I got a few sets of round cork boards (maybe 5-6 " across?) at Ikea and I place hot plates of food, hot mugs, anything out of the oven, stove or microwave, etc. on those cork rounds till it gets to the dining table or wherever. Or just put hot stuff on top of my gas range temporarily. Easy peasy!
Regular Contributor

@sometimesQVCaddict So you put anything from the microwave on the cork rounds. I'm doing that and hope my husband is too. I'll have to check!

Honored Contributor

We have Quartz and I am also obsessed with it.  It is very durable but I am not taking any chances.  I would never put a hot pan on it.

Last month my husband was repairing something and put his power drill on the counter.  I said oh no.  No.  Let's put a towel under that. Smiley LOL