Honored Contributor

Mesa Solo Stove may be the next turkey fryer

I am seeing many commercials for Solo Stoves, scientifically designed for burning wood outdoors.  Now they have come out with a new model, the Mesa, for burning inside.  The ads show romantic settings with two people watching their stove burn and another with kids toasting marshmallows.  The problem is these ads show burning INSIDE.  Like the unsuspecting people who use a turkey fryer inside, these stoves are going to be responsible for many fires. I'm aghast.

Valued Contributor

Re: Mesa Solo Stove may be the next turkey fryer

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

I had to look it up.  I've never heard of it before. 

It's a big no way.  Not even if I got one free and was paid to use it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My neighbor bought a Solo fire pit and the thing smokes like crazy. I can't stand it. I had to close all of my windows when they were burning it...just awful! They got cited for not using a spark screen which is required here. 

Dangerous!

This is similar to what I saw in my neighbor's backyard last summer. Insane! Sparks were flying up in the air and I was afraid it was going to cause a fire somewhere so I called the fire department. That fire pit is only feet away from my wooden fence plus I have trees and shrubs right next to my fence.

download.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I couldn't find it. Only saw mini alcohol burners like the ones used at buffets. The Mesa Solo is for outdoor use. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen the ads showing it being used indoors, but the website specifically says it's for outdoor use only and not to be used under canopies or or patio uimbrellas.

Respected Contributor

@depglass I have seen those ads. They are frightening to watch. Nothing about the ad looks safe. As far as camping with one of those goes, they look like a major forest fire hazard. It only takes one spark to ignite a forest fire. 

Respected Contributor

Is this what you are referring to? It looks like a porch on a modern, expensive house. A house I'd like to have.

solomesa.png

I haven't seen any pictures of it being used indoors.